This non-runner just ran a MARATHON!

LaurenAOK
LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
I really can't believe I'm making this post - I never thought the day would come. When I joined MFP four years ago I was not a runner in the slightest. I couldn't run a mile - I tried Couch 2 5k, and even the one minute jogging intervals at the beginning were almost impossible for me. I remember thinking I'd probably never be able to run a 5K.

Four years of hard work and dedication later, and I ran the NYC Marathon this past Sunday. Along the way I have run numerous 5Ks, a 10K, a 10-miler, and a Half Marathon. Running does NOT come easily for me. I don't love it. Sometimes I don't even like it. I don't get a "runner's high." But I knew how proud I would be of myself if I could accomplish these things. So I've pushed myself further and further, and finally I've achieved my ultimate goal - a marathon.

The training was brutal, both mentally and physically. The race itself was more challenging than I could have imagined - but also infinitely more fun and rewarding. To run through all five boroughs of my city alongside 50,000 others with the same goal... to run down streets lined with over one million cheering New Yorkers... it was honestly one of the best experiences of my life. I was so emotional afterwards - and still am. I cried when they handed me my medal!

I just wanted to say that if I can do it, anyone can. For those of you out there who want to become a runner but think it's impossible, you CAN do it. Take it slow in the beginning. Follow training programs (Hal Higdon has great ones, I've used his for all of my races). Don't worry about your speed. And learn to enjoy yourself - at least some of the time. For some of us, running will never be really fun, but that doesn't mean we can't set running goals that will make us proud anyway.

I don't think I'll do another marathon - once was enough for me! But I've realized I find half marathons to be the perfect distance. My next race is the Disney Princess Glass Slipper in February (10K on Saturday + Half Marathon on Sunday). Can't wait :)

And now: PHOTOS!

Before the race...

MuTec8ul.jpg

During...

1B826Drl.jpg
Ln8666ll.jpg
x1mz897l.jpg
IeYtUeil.jpg
TSdIHZrl.jpg

That one is my favorite, you can see the relief and exhaustion on my face after I crossed the finish line haha.

After!

wXmafuql.jpg?1
sIhacE3l.jpg?1
7uqOk2El.jpg

Replies

• Hallie82
    Hallie82 Posts: 38 Member
    Way to go!!! I completed couch to 5k about two years ago I didn't think I could do it but I ended up getting to a 10k that year! I didn't stick with it after the 10k and I wish I had because like you I'm not a huge running fan so getting started takes a lot. I do agree nothing beats the feeling of completing the race and that's why I want to do it. I am back at about a 5k status right now and made a huge step and signed up for a half marathon in April to keep me motivated and going this time. I have 5 months to train. Thanks for posting this it's very inspiring for the position I am in. Congrats on your Marathon!!!!!!
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    This is a goal for me to push towards! I did C25K 2 years ago but my top mileage is a quarter marathon at this point although I'm sure I'll knock down a half in spring. A full is probably doable within the next two years.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! That medal was EARNED! I've been doing HMs, 10Ks, and really toying with the thought of a marathon. You've inspired me!
  • LaurenAOK
    D'OH! I completely forgot to mention in my main post one of the most exciting parts for me!!! I had a goal to finish in 4:25:00 or less, as I had read that was the average finishing time for a first-timer of my age. I finished in 4:21:42, AND it turns out I finished in the top 1/3 of my age group. I was stunned when I found that out!!

Thank you all for the support! I fully believe that all of you will achieve your running goals! :)
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Awesome!!! I'm working towards a half marathon and you're so inspirational :)
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    You are awesome. Love seeing posts like this. Thank you :)
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    edited November 2015
    thats so awesome! I would love to run a marathon one of these days. I run every day on my elliptical, and have completed a half marathon on it so far. Very inspirational :)
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Congrats!!! I'm running the GSC in February too. I ran it last year and I absolutely loved it. :smile:
  • LaurenAOK
    acheben wrote: »
    Congrats!!! I'm running the GSC in February too. I ran it last year and I absolutely loved it. :smile:

Yay! I did the Princess 10K two years ago and the Half last year, but this is my first time doing both. The GSC medals and tshirts are always so pretty, that's what I'm most excited about honestly hahah.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Amazing job!! I'm just finishing up 10k training and going to start training for a half soon. I also started with c25k and it's so rewarding making progress. Way to go!
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    That is amazing!! Be very proud of yourself!
  • PeachesNcreamgal
    PeachesNcreamgal Posts: 357 Member
    Great job girl!! I am obsessed with running and runners are my inspiration. I would love to run a marathon someday!! :)
  • pippypuppy
    pippypuppy Posts: 67 Member
    Well done girl! !! Amazing effort and completely dedicated. Just fantastic
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Congrats Lauren! I too hope to run my first next year. And Lauren, YOU ARE A RUNNER!
  • Crochet180
    Crochet180 Posts: 57 Member
    Congratulations, working my way back to 10k but there's a marathon in the back of my mind too. You're an inspiration.
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Congrats!!! Hoping that will be me one day
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I am so so so so proud of you.
  • Mccmack
    Mccmack Posts: 195 Member
    Congrats. Thanks for sharing. This is a great post and an inspiration
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Awww! NYC Marathon has been on my bucket list since I was 25. Not that I was a runner... So very inspirational. Big congratulations. 26.some miles is no small...feet :smiley:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!