Dairy - is it why i can't lose weight?

I do feel bloated after too much milk, can't have ice cream/milkshakes etc and sometimes milk chocolate gives me tummy issues - but i love milk in my tea, but have skimmed. Do you think it could be why i just can't seem to get the scales to budge? I only have milk in my tea but i do drink a lot of it - i factor the calories into my allowance and everything, but the scales just will not budge!!!

Anyone else had the same issue? Or success from giving up dairy?

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    No. If you think you are intolerant to dairy and it is causing indigestion, this is a different story. But it is not making you gain weight.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Honestly? No, I do not think that is the problem.

If you're not losing weight (as in 4-6 weeks of no change), then you're eating too many calories. In which case it could be a logging issue, an accuracy issue or simply because your goal is higher than it should be.
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    Sounds like you are lactose sensitive. I would avoid it to help you feel better, but it's not what is keeping you from losing weight.

I would seek out non-dairy creamer for your tea (there are all kinds of them in the store), and use lactose-free milk. I'm dairy sensitive myself, I feel pressurized and have to use the bathroom way more than normal if I have milk products. It sucks :(
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    I suppose that if it bloats you then you might see a short-term stall from the water weight. But it would even out once you start looking at longer term trends and wouldn't stop you from losing fat completely.

Have you looked at the other common recommendations for stalls, yet?

g6p43bjn92sn.jpg
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    I suppose that if it bloats you then you might see a short-term stall from the water weight. But it would even out once you start looking at longer term trends and wouldn't stop you from losing fat completely.

g6p43bjn92sn.jpg

I have never seen this chart before, but I may steal it as a response for future questions, it's fantastic!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    _Bropollo_ wrote: »

g6p43bjn92sn.jpg

I have never seen this chart before, but I may steal it as a response for future questions, it's fantastic!

This fantastic flowchart was made by @lemonlionheart and she's given it to the forum to use. Steal away!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    I don't think it's affecting you losing weight.

BUT- it does sound like you have an intolerance and probably shouldn't be eating it.
    Lactose intolerance side effects:
    Bloating.
    Pain or cramps in the lower belly.
    Gurgling or rumbling sounds in the lower belly.
    Gas.
    Loose stools or diarrhea. Sometimes the stools are foamy.
    Throwing up.

IMO, not worth it. Switch to almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk, etc. Especially if you're only drinking it in tea.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    You seem to have lactose intolerance to some degree.
    But no, that's not why you're not losing weight.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,645 Member
    try lactose free milk and see if it clears up the digestive issues.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    It's unlikely that the dairy is preventing you from losing weight. Maybe it's just a natural pause and you'll whoosh later, maybe you need to eat less, but don't blame the dairy.

I eat very little dairy because I have digestive issues when I do. It's uncomfortable (at best) and I just naturally avoid it because I don't want to feel sick. I can eat small amounts of cheese or milk and all the cottage cheese I want. Mother than that, it's just out.

Eat what you can, avoid what makes you sick. I was into my twenties before I really paid attention and figured out just what the heck was making me so sick. After that, it took more time to realize that ice cream was bad, but cottage cheese was okay. For me, it was experience that taught me - just paying attention! :)