Homemade Nut Butter question

Options
Thowe92
Thowe92 Posts: 109 Member
edited November 2015 in Recipes
I just made some homemade cashew butter. It came out to be about 198 grams and I figured that if I made it 6 servings at 33 grams each, the calorie count would come out to be 188 calories. I'm just wondering if this would be true or not since this is my first time making a nut butter. I have it saved in my recipes and I did some calculations of my own to double check.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/view/265976053313069

Replies

• eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    That would make it 1128 calories for the whole pot, right? Does that jibe with the amount of cashews you used?
  • eep223
    Options
    Look like 1128 calories = about 7.2 oz cashews. Is that how many you used?
  • Thowe92
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Yeah. Like I said, I already did the calculations. I just wanted to make sure everything was correct.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    We can't double check your math for you without all the numbers. We are missing how much cashews you used (by weight) and what the calories per ounce/gr for the cashews you used.

If a serving of the cashews you used is 160 calories per ounce, and you used 7 ounces, the total calories would be 1120 and if you divide that by 6 servings you get apx 188 calories per serving. So it looks like the process behind your math is correct.

However .88 of 2 cups isn't very accurate. 2 cups of whole cashews is a different amount than 2 cups of broken ends and halves. Whenever you can, measure solid foods by weight!
  • Thowe92
    Options
    MissJay75 wrote: »
    We can't double check your math for you without all the numbers. We are missing how much cashews you used (by weight) and what the calories per ounce/gr for the cashews you used.

If a serving of the cashews you used is 160 calories per ounce, and you used 7 ounces, the total calories would be 1120 and if you divide that by 6 servings you get apx 188 calories per serving. So it looks like the process behind your math is correct.

However .88 of 2 cups isn't very accurate. 2 cups of whole cashews is a different amount than 2 cups of broken ends and halves. Whenever you can, measure solid foods by weight!

Yes that's right. I apololgize for not providing the numbers. That was the only thing I could find for the cashew product I used. Everything you said is what I got as well. So I guess I may have been right after all.
  • eep223
    Options
    I guess I don't understand what you're asking then.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    eep223 wrote: »
    I guess I don't understand what you're asking then.

He just wanted to know if he did the math the right way.

• Thowe92
    Options
    Yeah. First time making a nut butter and I know nuts can be a little iffy on their nutritional info sometimes.