Sick and losing weight too fast

Options
Hey all. So i've been sick with a virus for 5 days and i've already lost 2kg. I feel like i'm losing weight too fast and I'm worried about losing muscle mass. Is it likely that i'd be losing muscle in this time frame? Any suggestions of what to eat when you have no appetite?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much over 4 pounds. That's normal fluctuations and most likely water loss.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    You're ill, once you're well your body will equalize. It likely is water, and you'll see it come back once your body isn't focusing so much energy on healing.

I dont think you have muscle loss after only a few days and even if you have lost some muscle it certainly wont be anything significant. When I am sick I just focus on fluids honestly. If you're really not hungry I wouldn't force the issue. When I force myself to eat I vomit, its terrible. I hope you feel well soon- drink as much water as you can manage!
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Do not worry about it, just eat what you feel like eating, if anything. MFP annoys me with its "you are not eating enough" message (although I do understand the point of it). Because of course it can't distinguish between someone who is intentionally eating way below their calorie goal and someone who is ill and just doesn't feel like eating. ugh. lol.

I had one of those throat/cough/congestion things for much of last week, and I fell below my calories for a couple of those days. I just did not feel like eating much. So I ate crackers, and soup, and bananas, and made sure to drink water and tea, and got told off by MFP. lol.

Back to normal this week.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I woke up 6 lbs down after being sick for a few days, I'm sure when I'm feeling better it'll bounce right back up after I get rehydrated and what not.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    you're ill...it's a week...don't worry about it.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    If sick and not hungry, Don eat.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You're not going to lose all your muscle in a few days. Just focus on getting well.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Dehydration, drink some fluids weight will come back
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    125goals wrote: »
    Doesn't your body eat away ( don't know the proper terms) at your fat first and then your muscles? Or something along those lines? Unsure

No. Actually the body will use sugar stores first which are quickly depleted. Then it will let go off muscle as it takes more energy to maintain muscle. Fat is released last.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Dude, you're sick. Get better first. Then worry about everything else.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Your muscle loss will be exactly the same as if you are lost the same weight when healthy. If you have been strength training you may lose some strength, but the actual muscle loss will be the same as healthy.
    Fat will still be the primary loss.

I just had a bad flu bug that had me in bed 4 days and barely moving for 2weeks. I gained half a pound. I forced myself to eat my basic maintenance day in day out even when I really, really didn't want to eat. Yogurt, cottage cheese, and fruit were my friend, along with so much liquid my back teeth were floating.

It took a couple of weeks to regain my perceived fitness level, but I am back to the normal me now, 4 weeks after the start of the flu bug.

Don't worry, eat what you can and nurture yourself.

Cheers, h