Is this advisable?

I've decided to do 30 day shred workout and did Day 1 just earlier this morning. It was just right after I came home from work (I do night shifts). I didnt eat since Midnight (7 hour gap) and after doing the workout i was feeling a bit lightheaded and maybe a little dizzy. So I decided to eat the remaining < 300 Cals from my diet with a simple Mango (207 cal) and slept about 3 hours after that.

For anyone who is experienced is this good enough? I'm worried that I'm doing something wrong plus I get a bit guilty eating right after the work-out since i feel like I just cancelled all the Calories that I just burned.

Replies

• nboks
    nboks Posts: 41
    any advice?
  • tubzzy77
    tubzzy77 Posts: 104 Member
    I'm no expert but when I'm feeling light headed and dizzy its usually because I didn't eat enough and that's just my body's way of telling me "yo homie you need to eat something. our blood sugar levels are too low and we about to pass out to protect yoself from over exerting yourself."

As for feeling guilty about eating those calories don't. Apparently you need to eat something like 3500 calories to gain a lb of fat or something. If you're eating at maintenance you're going to lose weight since your exercising and burning off calories.

And sleep more. About 8-10 hours a night if you can. It sounds stupid but it helps.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,123 Member
    I always eat about an hr before workout and right after for recovery. Why are you feeling guilty about eating a healthy snack? As long as you're not eating a whole pizza or tub of ice cream afterwards you shouldn't feel guilty. Your body needs food for fuel... never feel guilty about giving it what it needs.

I think what you're doing is right on point.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I've decided to do 30 day shred workout and did Day 1 just earlier this morning. It was just right after I came home from work (I do night shifts). I didnt eat since Midnight (7 hour gap) and after doing the workout i was feeling a bit lightheaded and maybe a little dizzy. So I decided to eat the remaining < 300 Cals from my diet with a simple Mango (207 cal) and slept about 3 hours after that.

For anyone who is experienced is this good enough? I'm worried that I'm doing something wrong plus I get a bit guilty eating right after the work-out since i feel like I just cancelled all the Calories that I just burned.

MFP is designed so you eat back your exercise calories - think of it as fueling your workouts.

When you plugged your data into MFP - it gave you a calorie deficit BEFORE exercise. So, when you exercise you make the deficit larger. When the calorie deficit is too large - you are actually "burning" off muscle along with fat. Moderate deficits help you maintain muscle & lose fat.

Light headed - either your calories are too low - or your macros could be better. Make sure you are getting enough protien & healthy fats.

The time of day you eat will not be an issue.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    So I decided to eat the remaining < 300 Cals from my diet

You mean the last 300 from your base calorie goal, or the remaining 300 added after exercising? If you had MFP set your calorie goal then you are supposed to eat more for exercise.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Try eating before the workout. Eating your left over calories does not cancel out your workout. You eating at a deficit takes care of the weight loss. You working out is for strength, lean muscle, and overall health.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    what you need to do is eat something small, like half a peanut butter sandwich, before your workout. Gives you the carbs and protein you need.

You also should eat something after if you feel like you need to.

You aren't cancelling anything out just b/c you eat.....
  • nboks
    nboks Posts: 41
    Thanks for the replies! I'll take all your comments in mind.

@deksgrl
    I believe its 300 cal from my base goal with no adjustment due to exercise (i havent plugged in the exercise on MFP since i couldnt find the 30 day shred info there)

@wareagle8706
    Thanks for the peanut butter sandwich idea. I do love peanut butter and I actually have some i just recently bought.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Eatz more foodz.
  • cranium853
    cranium853 Posts: 138 Member
    Look at it like this: if your blood is in your digestive tract making use of lunch then you might feel a little weaker in the extremities (think if that "don't swim for an hour after eating" homily; there is some sense to it because you are a little weaker.) If you don't have fuel in your blood (oxygen and glucose) you may feel weaker. Eating right after exercise causes some people to feel nauseated because the blood is busy elsewhere. Eating right before exercise may lead to a sensation of heaviness in the gut because you are, well, a little heavier in the gut while digestion gets things moving along. Time of eating is not as critical as the overall quantity of food you take in. And it's not like ALL your blood takes off to your nether parts and leaves you standing there limply sogging to the floor......

I read something the other day that said there was no proof whatsoever that eight glasses of water was mandated, but there was definite evidence that if you are thirsty then you should drink because thirst is a sign of dehydration. Common sense will rule the day. Look for long-haul improvements a step at a time....baby steps will do it just fine.
  • Just a thought, but maybe look at it from a different angle. Perhaps the intensity was too high and you were robbing your body of the proper amounts of oxygen (Not breathing enough)? I've seen numerous people at the gym faint while exercising. Some due to not enough rest between sets (Pusing too hard) to people forgetting to breath while lifting, etc...

Only you can answer the intensity vs food question, but it is something to think about.

Wareagle's suggestion about the peanut butter sandwich is also a good idea. I also bring a couple of bags of fruit snacks along when I workout for the low sugar attacks. However, I am a type II diabetic.

Good luck! :)