How do you curb the bread cravings?

Options
2»

Replies

• fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    If you are bingeing on bread, I would recommend not bringing into house. Some people can definitely go the moderation route with bread, but it does not work for everyone. And it is not lack of will power either. You may have and emotional connection to bread for whatever reason or the ingredients in the bread cause you to react poorly to it.

I have both issues- buttered sugar toast was my first binge food at 7 years old and the chemicals and over- processing in bread (and any refined carb) cause me to have an overwhelming desire to overeat said refined carb. So, it is necessary to do some soul search and see where you stand..... Good luck on your journey.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I buy some crap bread for sandwiches, it doesn't bother me. But it's usually not worth the calories. As for good bread-I don't bring it in the house. Even though it's delicious, I'm a volume eater and it's not worth the calories for me. When I'm treating myself to a beautiful dinner at a restaurant, I will eat all the bread though and really indulge.
  • Jesabelle15
    Jesabelle15 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Is there any way to set it up ahead of time? Like with snacks, I like to sometimes pre-scoop them and bag them so I'm conscious of how much I'm eating... Otherwise I'll keep reaching and then think what the hell just happened! Lol! So maybe if you set your bread up somehow ahead of time - like dinner bread even --- only put out the amount you're going to eat and pre package the rest for days so you know you're entering other days' worth of bread? I hope that makes sense! Good luck! Breads so tricky! Lol! It's a hard one!
  • alanlifts12
    alanlifts12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I bought some high protein bread and high protein bagels, that way I can still have bread as its too hard to cut it all out. All that happens if I cut if out, after a few days I cant stick to the diet.

I bought mine from www.myhealthshop.co.uk they have a good selection of high protein foods and healthy snacks
    http://www.myhealthshop.co.uk/high-protein-bagels
  • randomsue
    randomsue Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    ecjim wrote: »
    I also use Ezekiel Bread - good stuff - much better for you - The other stuff - like fresh Italian or rolls is addictive - like a narcotic. Eastcoast Jim

I used to eat Ezekiel bread before I found out I was allergic to wheat. Loved it. One thing that it would do is fill you up. You didn't want to eat slice after slice of it like you would with soft breads like potato rolls.

I would switch to Ezekiel bread (food for life brand) first and you will cut back because it's not cheap bread either. None of that $1 a loaf deals with it. Really think about what you plan on doing with your bread. By the way, I did the same with sugar. I switched to raw, turbinado sugar. Used it sparingly because it was more expensive than white sugar. I use very little of it now.You will find after cutting down on bread (and sugar)that if you eat it, some will taste very sweet.

Sweet potatoes or baked potatoes are good options to top with some things instead of making a sandwich. Chopped proteins, chili, beans, pulled pork, bbq, leftover beef. Adds more nutrition and it's filling.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    The only way to curb bread cravings is to go ahead and have some without guilt. If you demonize it, it becomes a bigger problem than it really is. I had the same problem with ice cream. Then I decided to have a pint once a week without fail. Before I knew it, almost 2 weeks would go by before I realized I hadn't had any. Now, I enjoy a guiltless pint every week. I'm now consuming less ice cream than I did when I tried my hardest to avoid it but somehow ended up over-consuming it.