Vegetarian Foods

Options
I was thinking of becoming vegetarian because I hear from some people it can make you become healthier if u eat right. The problem is, the Internet can give mixed information so I don't want to do my research there. If anybody has food suggestions, protein substitutes, what foods give me energy and other vegetarian suggestion lemme know please :) thank you so much!

Replies

• clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I've been eating mostly vegetarian for over a year now. At first I had trouble with getting to much fat, from dairy & oil, so I've learned to watch that too. Now I'm following the starch solution, eating lots of beans, rice, potatoes, oatmeal, fruits, veggies.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    It's like everything else: if you eat the wrong foods, you'll still be unhealthy. If you eat a diet of mostly unprocessed fruits, veggies, grains, and beans, you'll probably be healthy, just like a meat-eater that are the same foods would be. On the other hand, if the majority of your vegetarian diet consists of pasta, sugar, and snack foods, you would be better off eating meat. It's all in how you go about it.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Do paleo instead. Much better!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Being a vegetarian doesn't make you healthier. You can have a horrible diet as a vegetarian. It should be a choice either rooted in ethics or food preference for you.

Please note, I'm saying this as a vegetarian.

A person can effect a healthy, nutritious diet whether they eat meat or any animal products whatsoever. Protein (whether that's from animals, their dairy or eggs, or beans/legumes), vegetables, fruit, healthy fats, and whole grains make for a nutrition-packed diet. Throw in a treat or two if you so desire and you have a sustainable way of eating.
  • NJCJF
    NJCJF Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Exactly @PeachyCarol! I have a cousin who is vegetarian. She lives on twinkies and oreos.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,898 Member
    Options
    Being a vegetarian doesn't make you healthier. You can have a horrible diet as a vegetarian. It should be a choice either rooted in ethics or food preference for you.

Please note, I'm saying this as a vegetarian.

A person can effect a healthy, nutritious diet whether they eat meat or any animal products whatsoever. Protein (whether that's from animals, their dairy or eggs, or beans/legumes), vegetables, fruit, healthy fats, and whole grains make for a nutrition-packed diet. Throw in a treat or two if you so desire and you have a sustainable way of eating.

Oh, *so* +1 to this. I've been ovo-lacto vegetarian for 41+ years (yes, since 1974). I got fat that way, I got elevated cholesterol that way, I got borderline-high blood pressure that way . . . not to mention cancer. (Before you say "oh, but you're not vegan": I've known fat, unhealthy vegans, too.)

Purely personal opinion, but the unhealthy habits I see most often in diaries (and friends' behavior) is eating junky processed food, not eating veggies & fruits in desirable quantities and variety, over-carbing (I'm not arguing for low carb, just against nearly-all-carb), too much alcohol, way too little protein, and that sort of thing.

Trust me, you can do those & be vegetarian. Or you can do the opposite, and eat meat. It's certainly easier to get enough protein if you *do* eat meat.

Focus on healthy eating, do vegetarian if you have moral or other scruples about meat.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Well said @PeachyCarol . OP, you will have to sift the responses here just as you would have to through the big, wide Internet.

I am not vegetarian but I eat many plant based meals through the week, as I like trying new foods and adding variety to my diet.

I suggest you incorporate more plant based meals throughout your week, slowly switching over until you have a good handle on it.

Make four lists: 1. Proteins 2. Carbs 3. Fats and 4. Fruits and veggies. This last category is really a sub-set of the carb list but I think it helps to add an abundance of these to your diet.

Plan out your meals to include all four in your meals if you can.

This will give you a pretty good idea if this sort of eating is sustainable.

This is my favourite tofu recipe so far, and so easy.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/361132463848164122/
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    NJCJF wrote: »
    Exactly @PeachyCarol! I have a cousin who is vegetarian. She lives on twinkies and oreos.

Just like many meat eaters

Personally I feel better not putting death into my body so I feel healthier in that respect.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Naley2322 wrote: »
    NJCJF wrote: »

Just like many meat eaters

Personally I feel better not putting death into my body so I feel healthier in that respect.

But what makes an individual feel better emotionally doesn’t really tell us if everyone must eliminate meat for health.

I am strongly ethically opposed to animal exploitation, but I also think we should be honest and candid about what can be objectively proven. The scientific case that eliminating meat results in better health is far from obvious. I think when we support claims like this, we may inadvertently damage the case for veganism because we may create the impression that we are dishonest, disingenuous, or misinformed.