Video game "workouts"

Options
I'm just curious how many people use Wii fit, Wii u fit, just dance or any other "workout" video games in their routines. Back when DDR was the only type body interactive game my friend at the time just melted away! I'm thinking of being more diligent and adding sessions in between my other workouts- any thoughts shared would be much appreciated!

Replies

• OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    I have a great workout routine for when I'm playing video games. Every 20 minutes or so I get up, walk across the room, open my mini fridge, get another Coke Zero, then walk back and sit down. It really gets the blood flowing.
  • amberlyda1
    amberlyda1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i used one on the wii and it worked. My kids loved it too. We would all break a sweat playing the game. I dont remember the name of it, but it had roller blading and you had to jump over things, running in place, kickboxing and tradional exercises with a band
  • ellebreedlove42
    ellebreedlove42 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have a great workout routine for when I'm playing video games. Every 20 minutes or so I get up, walk across the room, open my mini fridge, get another Coke Zero, then walk back and sit down. It really gets the blood flowing.

Lol! I have that routine when I play games like fallout or assassins creed. But not with soda - water... And food...
  • ellebreedlove42
    ellebreedlove42 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    amberlyda1 wrote: »
    I dont remember the name of it, but it had roller blading and you had to jump over things, running in place, kickboxing and tradional exercises with a band

I can actually probably google that information and find it! I have a few games but none the kids like love- sadly Haha

Thanks for the input !
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I've been using EA Sports Active 2 for the Wii for going on four years now...it came out right as I was outgrowing the "fit plus" CD that came with the Wii Fit balance board I'd gotten the year earlier. It comes with sensors that strap on one leg and one arm and the arm one has a HR monitor (same green-LED technology that's now used in wearables) I went through their nine-week program first, and then programmed my own routines that I rotate between. They fit what is now known as HIIT: cardio and resistance interspersed, but thanks to the heart rate monitor I tweak the programming so in addition to the bursts my heart rate never goes below Zone 3 until the end of the workout, so it counts as cardio as well which I need for heart health thanks to family history.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I use my Kinect for extra movement. It's fun, i get my heart rate up and my kids can play too. I also sit on my recumbent bike and peddle while playing regular games. i don't count it as exercise though.
    I like to play Rush with my kids. Lots of jumping, arm swinging and running in place. I also got Fable for kinect, which is fun. Rise of Nightmares because Zombies. I got biggest loser for kinect, but it's so frustrating to navigate and use I just stopped trying. I have plenty of other things I can do. The more fun it is, the more likely I am to do it.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I use the Jillian Michaels Biggest Loser, Just Dance and Michael Jackson: The Experience on our Wii. They are a fun way to burn some calories when it's winter and I just can't bear to leave the house.
  • xepherax
    xepherax Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I played DDR pretty seriously for 4 or 5 years when i was a teenager. Decided to lose the huge amount of weight I'd put on since then about 3 months ago and tried getting back into it. For the first week, I'd be on the floor after 1 expert song, but now I'm back almost to the same level i used to be. Been playing at least an hour day for the last couple of months as my only exercise and the weight does just fall off you. Down 17kg since I started, but still got a way to go.

I think the main benefit is that I find it so fun, that it definitely doesn't feel like a chore at all. Once you get focused on AAAing songs, you totally forget how much of a workout you're really getting.

I did try a bit of Just Dance and Dance Evolution too, and did find them kinda fun, but I didn't feel like either got the motion detection perfect.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options

This is actually my current videogame workout routine as well, lol. But back in the day when DDR was still a "thing," I lost like 40 pounds without even really trying. I was obsessed with that game...went on to win a couple tournaments. Thems were the days...