Trust in the process, the results will follow

Options
Hoping to bring a little hope to those who are staring at that needle on the scale that just won't budge.
I started logging on MFP (again) at the end of August this year. I was at my heaviest weight ever, couldn't remove my wedding ring (not that I wanted to, but I got really scared when my finger actually started throbbing), could barely fit into my clothes, had no energy and was basically unhappy with the way I looked and felt.
I thought about starting a crash/fad diet to try and lose 10 lbs in a week. But we're all smarter than that. I knew that the weight I'd gradually been putting on over the last 5 years wasn't going to magically vanish in a month.
So I decided to make little changes.
  1. The first was determining how much of a lifestyle change I was willing to make to get down to my ideal weight. (i.e. How many calories a day was I willing to sacrifice through calorie restriction and exercise?)
  2. The second was projecting how long it would take to get to my ideal weight based on that lifestyle change. (Then I took that far-off date and put it on a shelf at the back of my brain and virtually forgot about it.)
  3. The third was determining what my weight loss should be for an average week to achieve my goal.
  4. The fourth was logging my food every day in keeping with my weekly weight loss commitment. When I say logging, I mean logging EVERYTHING. The good and the bad. The ''0'' calorie hot sauce and the mucho calorie wine. Everything.
  5. The fifth was finding healthy, simple recipes that the whole family likes and that keep me full. Think tuna steak, brussels sprouts, big salads, stodgy porridge, kale, fresh fruit.
  6. The sixth was planning those healthy recipes out before grocery shopping so I wouldn't find myself opting for a quick fix pasta dish for convenience' sake.
  7. The seventh was having healthy snacks on hand for those days when I NEED a snack (rice cakes, nuts, ready-boiled eggs, etc.)
  8. The eighth was moving a tiny little bit more every day, whether that's steps, tennis, weights, Pilates, yoga ... anything is better than nothing.
  9. The ninth was weighing in daily to establish a weight trend. (This has been invaluable; sometimes the scale doesn't budge for a week, or goes up 3 lbs in a day, but without fail the overall weekly trend has reflected my initial goal).
  10. The tenth, and perhaps most important, has been trusting in the process, focusing on the big picture rather than solely on the number on the scale on any given day, and forgiving myself completely on those days when I've gone over or made poor choices (there have been more than I care to admit), and picking myself up immediately the next morning with better choices.
I'm only a third of the way to my ultimate goal, and I may never reach it. But I'm still proof that little changes can make a big difference over time. I'm a third of the way closer than I was just over 2 months ago. I'm healthier, more energetic, and way more positive than I was then too. And every day I find myself trusting more and more in the process.
Give yourself more than just a number on the scale. Give yourself more time than ''immediately, right now!'' to get slimmer and healthier and more positive. Give yourself a chance. You won't get there in a day, but you'll get better and better on the way there :smiley:

Replies

• ImOneStepCloser
    ImOneStepCloser Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    This was just perfect!! Thank you and great job on your so far success!
  • marymbradford18
    marymbradford18 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I needed this! Thank you.
  • tonisha1821
    tonisha1821 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Perfect motivation. Eloquently spoken. Thank you.
  • shrinkinc
    shrinkinc Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Brilliant! All sorts of 'yes!' here... I've only been here 3 months but I'm completely jaded by the folks who insist they can lose 3-4 lbs a week, or claim they are metabolically so 'special' they can't possibly lever more than 1000 calories in their pie hole, etc etc. And then, of course, poof!, they disappear! Sustainable & lasting weight loss really is a tortoise's game rather than a hare's. Thanks for writing this!
  • takingcareofus
    takingcareofus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this. It's what I'm able to hear. I hope I'll also start planning meals, moving more, reaching the 1/3 mark and continuing onwards... Thanks again
  • Runagain_4
    Runagain_4 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    Brilliant! All sorts of 'yes!' here... I've only been here 3 months but I'm completely jaded by the folks who insist they can lose 3-4 lbs a week, or claim they are metabolically so 'special' they can't possibly lever more than 1000 calories in their pie hole, etc etc. And then, of course, poof!, they disappear! Sustainable & lasting weight loss really is a tortoise's game rather than a hare's. Thanks for writing this!

''... a tortoise's game rather than a hare's.'' Love this!
    It really is. Patience really is key, and I'm starting to understand that with patience AND determination, it IS possible to lose. After several years of half-hearted attempts, or gung-ho approaches that deflated after the initial 2lb-drop-in-2-days high, I'm finally actually allowing myself to enjoy the slow journey to healthy and I'm celebrating the tiniest of victories.
    If you looked at my scale weight this week compared to the same day last week, you'd see that I weigh exactly 1 lb more. But my trend weight has actually come down 1 lb. That's because my ''highest'' weight keeps on going down.
    More importantly, I have a little more energy and motivation every day. Getting up and going for a walk in the evening isn't something I have to fit in like it was a few months ago; it's something I want to do.
    And if I miss a night, it's not the end of the world. I think that's the biggest difference. Whereas before, one slipped meal, one pound gained or one missed workout and I was ready to throw in the towel. Now I ditch the guilt as soon as I get up in the morning and start off fresh every day.
    @takingcareofus, you've got this. :smiley:
  • Endless_Journey
    Endless_Journey Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Love this, just had my latest weigh in, 46kg down. Can relate what you wrote. Keep going
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats on 1/3 in just a few months. With an outlook like this I'm sure you'll get there.
  • annebourne2
    annebourne2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much, this is really great. Into my second week and gained one pound but I'll just keep adjusting and trying to make this work!
  • hmthomas317
    hmthomas317 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Congrats and thank you!! I've needed a little reminder not to sweat the small things and accept that this is a process and not always a happy, easy, sunshine and roses process, but one that takes discipline, patience and hard work.
  • sthoma13
    sthoma13 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Perfect what I needed today! Thank you all
  • saralthrash
    saralthrash Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Love this! Thanks for posting!
  • dlm4mom
    dlm4mom Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this. I look forward to more of your posts. This is motivation in a kind and realistic way. Some of us are struggling and do not find anything easy. Every thing has to be planned and deliberate for me. It is not my nature to exercise or eat low calorie foods. I have to make myself do everything differently in order to loose weight.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    So true. Thanks!
  • Runagain_4
    Runagain_4 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm so grateful for all of your feedback and positivity! That's what keeps me coming back to MFP every day; knowing that there are people like yourselves out there who are just like me. We're the ones who don't get it right every single minute of every day, but who hold on to hope and keep on trying even when we don't get it quite right.
    Just an update, in case anyone's wondering: trusting in the process has now gotten me 2/3 of the way to my goal. Some days are easy, some days are really tough. But I wake up every morning telling myself this is the day I get to keep on keeping at it. Some days my weight is up, some days it is down, but the trend keeps on going downwards, even if it sometimes seems agonisingly slow (think 'no loss one week, half a pound the next').
    And I keep on coming back here every single day. I log in, I log my food. It's probably the easiest thing I've got to do all day; it seems silly not to, really. Some days I'm embarrassed to put down in writing that I replaced my portion of veg with an ounce of Cheetos (check today's diary ... sigh ...), but embarrassment seems to keep me oddly accountable, which ultimately leads to me making better choices to redeem myself!
    I'm starting to look better than I did five months ago, but more importantly I feel so much better. I'm happier, healthier and just generally more positive.
    Best of luck on all your journeys. Find what works for you and trust in that. And please, please, go easy on yourselves along the way :smile:
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Bumping this because it is so awesome! Thank you OP - sometimes it's hard to trust the process. but like so many things in life, patience and trust make all the difference. Thanks to everyone here, I'm using trendweight too. My scale showed a 1lb increase - but trendweight shows a -0.1 decrease. It's such an awesome tool. (and reading The Hacker's Diet that trendweight is based on was rather awesome too).
  • judywiggins
    judywiggins Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your honest thoughts and experience. I too have to learn to trust the process, so I got up this morning packed my water aerobics gear and off I go after work. Anyone wanting friends send me an invite. I'm looking for a few really committed people. Those folks that if you don't see me for a day...call me out and vice versa. :)
  • itsmemaringle
    itsmemaringle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This is so true!!!!! Thank you for posting yadbtu455xi0.jpeg
  • dswindlern
    dswindlern Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this!