Gym or home?

Options
I have very limited time to work out and one thing that I could do is join the local, very small gym and work out on my lunch break. It looks like there are hardly any other people working out at this time. This would be the only time that I would ever get to go and I'm not sure if I should do this or keep trying to work in exercise at home. Is appx. 45 minutes enough time at a gym to get results and be worth it? Also, they do not have a trainer on staff so I would be on my own trying to figure out what to do. That being said, what's the best way to devise a workout plan at a gym?

Should I start lifting if I still have a good amount of weight to lose (40-50 pounds)? Or is it best to stick with mostly cardio for now? Thanks in advance to anyone who replies:)

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Start lifting now. Check out Jamie Eason's LiveFit trainer on bodybuilding.com (or any of their programs) or New Rules of Lifting for Women. Lots of people love Eason's program, I could never really do it because I do workout at home, and some machines are required. I'm currently running Wendler's 5/3/1, and I like it a lot, but it's not for everyone. If you don't have weights at home, then go for the gym membership. (I have a rack, bench, bar and plates so I can lift from home.) You should be able to find a lifting program that you can get done in under 45 minutes, and yes, that's enough. Bodybuilding.com and musclandstrength.com both have good videos showing proper form and lots of plans and articles. There's lots of bro science on BB.com's forums, but some good stuff there, too.

You can do intervals on the treadmill or elliptical at the gym, or work in you cardio at home. If you really push yourself, 20-30 minutes is plenty. You could also run or see if there's a class or anything.
  • JESSEVANS1980
    Options
    Hi
    I am also a busy Mom, that works and goes to school. Finding time is such a struggle.
    I have been going to an Insanity Boot Camp at my local gym at 5:15AM for almost two months, and I have gotten results. The class is 45 mins, 5 days a week. But I am not getting the results I want. So I just purchased the new Focus T25 from Beachbody. I can't wait to get this workout going. 25 MINS A DAY!! That is all. I have been following several people that are already doing it and they are seeing results. Saving the time is so worth it to me.

If you think it may be something for you as well.... let me know.

Focus T25 was released to the public yesterday. Placed my order and can't wait for it to arrive.

Do you need a new, challenging workout?
    Do you need accountability partners to motivate you?
    Do you need a coach to guide you?
    DO YOU HAVE 25 MINUTES DAY?

My new challenge group is schedule to start July 8th.
    Why not join us?
    You purchase the package and I will guide you through the 10 weeks with full support from the challenge group.

What is Focus T25?
    The newest home workout from Beachbody and Shaun T, creator of Insanity.
    25 minutes a day, 5 days a week = 100% results.
    Who doesn't have 25 minutes. I spend that long flipping through the tv at night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfi80Wf29_M