Read this, take it serious... and go accomplish your goals!

Options
"Everybody talks about it, but not everybody is about it! Your dreams will never come true on 20% effort, 50% effort, or even 95% effort. The only way to make it do what it do, is to go ALL IN! That's 120% effort everyday, all day! Stop talking about it and be about it! You already know what your "sorta kinda want it" effort looks like. Aren't you tired of that? It's time to get real, get started and get it done. 120 Baby! Til the day I die!" - Eric Thomas Ph.D

Replies

• marymbradford18
    marymbradford18 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Inspirational! Thanks!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    That's 120% effort everyday, all day!

This is impossible
  • Tintin13
    Tintin13 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm going to need to be on this team! Beastmode from here on out no excuses
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I dunno, just a little effort can make all the difference between making some progress vs. none. I don't think being "all in" is always necessary in most situations for major changes to occur.

But I agree that talking is not doing or making an effort. That includes talking on paper, like making to-do lists is not doing.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Beast mode and gutting it out is hard to sustain, and leads some people to yo-yo. Make changes that you can live with, and if you're tired of starting over, stop giving up.
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Beast mode and gutting it out is hard to sustain, and leads some people to yo-yo. Make changes that you can live with, and if you're tired of starting over, stop giving up.

So true for me...I have a tendency to go at things, as my dad says, "like a mad woman going to the sh*thouse". To make this work for me I had to take it down a notch so I wouldn't burn out and give up...

But! You have to do what works for you! Go get it, OP and everyone else!
  • iheartcookies2
    iheartcookies2 Posts: 952 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I completely agree. I have seen so many people here that come in with that mindset and then disappear after one month because it becomes too much for them. In this case it's slow and steady that wins the race.

However different things work for different people, so this might work for some.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with blankiefinder. Some of us are in the prime of middle life with physical challenges. Beast mode would push us to the point of injury and exhaustion and leave us needing rest and recovery. I'd rather put in just the amount of effort needed to keep going.

This doesn't mean I'm against challenging myself to go further. Not by any means. It just means I don't push to hard to do it. A measured approach works best for me.
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »

This is impossible

LOL. My first thought, too. I get the sentiment but it's kind of a pet peeve of mine. Sure, you can earn 120% return on investment but ALL IN with regards to effort is 100%. Ok, enough snark for today. Good thought overall. :smile:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    "Everybody talks about it, but not everybody is about it! Your dreams will never come true on 20% effort, 50% effort, or even 95% effort. The only way to make it do what it do, is to go ALL IN! That's 120% effort everyday, all day! Stop talking about it and be about it! You already know what your "sorta kinda want it" effort looks like. Aren't you tired of that? It's time to get real, get started and get it done. 120 Baby! Til the day I die!" - Eric Thomas Ph.D

What a pile of pseudo-inspirational mumbo-jumbo, stereotypical American stylee crap

Really, you people buy this?

I'm with @blankiefinder

And Dory from Nemo

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    shrcpr wrote: »
    AJ_G wrote: »

This is impossible

LOL. My first thought, too. I get the sentiment but it's kind of a pet peeve of mine. Sure, you can earn 120% return on investment but ALL IN with regards to effort is 100%. Ok, enough snark for today. Good thought overall. :smile:

My thoughts exactly!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    Options
    I truly doubt anyone ever gives 100% 100% of the time. It's okay to not always give 100% because if that were the case, then why bother with 85% effort if it's been a tough day?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I only give 5% because that's all I have left after life gets done with me. I'm a single parent and my kids plus life responsibilities take priority over fitness. I do what I can and don't beat myself up if I have nothing more to give.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    And you can give 120% and fail. Not everybody gets to be king just because they want to be. Somebody has to be the piss boy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGfXiIXTpE0
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

What a pile of pseudo-inspirational mumbo-jumbo, stereotypical American stylee crap

I'm with @blankiefinder

And Dory from Nemo

Not all of us Americans buy into this. The only thing this mumbo jumbo motivates me to do is roll my eyes.

And +1 for what blankiefinder said. I'm not trying to burn myself out physically or mentally.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I'm with @blankiefinder

And Dory from Nemo

Yes agree with Dory and above.. me , I find an all or nothing attitude in one area of my life causes non sustainable lifestyle for others. An obsession for me is not healthy. Love the can do attitude, but it is the nothing that I don't want, so I will "just keep swimming" man that fish has some stamina!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options

very dramatic.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    Eric Thomas PhD clearly isn't a mathematician.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

He's a motivational speaker who calls himself, “ET, The Hip Hop Preacher”. His PhD is in Education Administration.

Here's one I like better: “Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow.” - Mary Anne Radmacher
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »

He's a motivational speaker who calls himself, “ET, The Hip Hop Preacher”. His PhD is in Education Administration.

Here's one I like better: “Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow.” - Mary Anne Radmacher

i like this one better. the other one is just off putting