Question about Refeed days

Options
Will my metabolism slow down if I don't have one? I'm on my 5th day of dieting and am just curious,I want to prevent any muscle loss and slowing of the metabolism that I can.i know some people do it to stay sane.but that isn't a problem for me since I don't have hardcore cravings.i for the most part can control what I put in my body and how much.what are your thoughts?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    No, your metabolism doesn't just slow down because you eat a day.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Hmm. Refeed days are a personal choice that people make for many different reasons. I've heard talk about the metabolism issue but don't know the science behind it. Losing muscle is a concern while eating at a deficit. I try to combat it with increased protein intake and lifting. I'm not sure if a refeed would help combat that too. Maybe it could under certain circumstances like if you're not eating a lot of protein during your non refeed days, you could refeed extra protein. I hope you find out what works best for you. Good luck!
  • fornorezzon18
    fornorezzon18 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

No I mean will it slow down if I keep staying in a caloric deficit without a Refeed day
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Preserve muscle with lifting weights. If you eat at a sensible average deficit, you probably don't need a re-feed day. Unless you're an athlete, then do what your trainers recommend. That said, as long as you're still eating at a deficit overall, there's not much harm in a rationally sized larger meal now and then. It helps make birthdays and date night easier to fit in.

Edit to add make sure you're eating protein too, to preserve muscle while eating at a deficit.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options

No I mean will it slow down if I keep staying in a caloric deficit without a Refeed day

Nope. Long term dieters can have what we call metabolic adaptation, but that isn't something that happens quickly.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'm all 'for' the idea of a 'refeed day' - but think it's commonly misconstrued as a 'Cheat Day'. These are not the same thing. As Lifting4Lis said, Long time dieters can experience metabolic adaptation and so a 'Refeed' every month or so can be beneficial. I've not done this myself and instead have eaten at a sensible deficit allowing me to fit 'even the naughty stuff' into my day. The only thing that has caused my weight loss to slow is me choosing to eat a lesser deficit than I once did. I do this because I'm at a point where I want to lose very slowly now.

Many of us have 'Diet Breaks' for a week here and there (Eating at Maintenance) just to keep yourself motivated. But generally, keep doing what you are doing and re-assess how you feel every few weeks.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Any time you diet your body starts burning fewer calories. Around 10% of your burn is due to digesting your food so cutting 500 calories means that you've reduced your burn by 50 to begin with, giving you a net deficit of just 450 right off the bat.

Metabolic adaptation is part of weight loss, period. A single re feed meal or day does less to avoid it and more to avoid the psychological burnout that can come with weight loss. Diet /maintenance breaks that are several days or more can help with the physiological stresses of weight loss.