Just counting cals no exercise ?

Options
Ok so I've 28 pounds in 3 months by just eating only 1200 cals a day and no more.
I do a little walking, about a mile a day and on the exercise front that is all ( blush )

I will be honest, my 28lbs is barely showing, I still feel and look ( in my opinion ) overweight and not one single person has mentioned they can see any improvement or weight loss. Not one.

My legs are still carrying all my weight and this is def a problem area for me. I have about 2 stone to go before my ideal weight.

Would exercise speed things up ? What should I be doing ?
Is it not showing because i'm being lazy and not doing any lol ?

Any ideas ?

Replies

• QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Losing weight without exercising causes you to lose lean body mass (muscle) along with the fat. Your body will not look toned, it will be flabby from the muscle loss. You need to do both cardio and strength training. A mile walking burs about 100 calories, not enough to aid in weight loss.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight, diet is fine.

If you want to change your body, you have to exercise. For most people, this means a good mix of cardio and strength training.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    MFP is a NEAT method calculator...what that means is that exercise is extra activity. Your 1200 calorie goal assumes you aren't doing anything in the way of exercise. When you exercise, your calorie goal is actually increased as to not have too large a calorie deficit...so no, it won't speed things up. But...it will make you feel better to exercise...you'll also strengthen your muscles. In the absence of resistance training while dieting, you lose a lot of muscle along with the fat, so it's pretty important to incorporate some form of resistance training or your body composition is going to suffer. Do cardio for heart health and cardiovascular endurance.

Remember, it's not a sprint...weight loss is a marathon. You didn't put it on over night and you're not going to take it off overnight. Safe and healthy weight loss is 1/2 Lb to 2 Lbs per week. Anything faster should only be done under the supervision of medical professionals because you're likely to malnourish your body. Just keep pluggin' away and start doing some exercise for your fitness.