I was totally lost but need to find my way back.

Options
Both my husband and myself need to lose weight, him because the docs told him he is heading for a heart attack or stroke by the time he is 65yrs. He is about 15 stone but has high blood pressure and taking tablets for cholestral.

Myself, I have just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my hips, one of which is severe and needs replacing, but I'm too young. I'm54yrs, I thought it was just muscle problems. Anyhow losing some weight will probably be beneficial to it.

I have done mfp before and it worked well, but I lost my way and couldn't get back into it.
Hope I can this time, don't know if hubby wants to try mfp,will see what he says.

Replies

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    You (y'all, really) can do it! I hope your hubby gets interested. Maybe after you get rolling :) Health reasons can be great motivators. I have some of my own for sure.

Don't start with too hard a deficit, log everything, and see what works for you as far as what you eat. If you have a slip-up, just move on and keep on going!

If you have an indoor pool nearby, that is excellent for joint problems, usually. It's great for all sorts of problems, but I was absolutely amazed how much I could do in a pool compared to on land. Good luck!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    To find your way back just take small steps putting one foot in front of the other. You have already taken a good leap by coming on here and posting. If your husband sees your success he may want to join also, That is how I got my husband to start.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Keep posting and gather some friends to cheer you on.
  • Mrsmiller0422
    Mrsmiller0422 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend n I just started MFP together.its easier for him to exercise and for me its hard. I have arthritis bad in my knees. I have been trying a little more movement of any kind is better than nothing. We had a huge oops this weekend on eating healthy. Being we had to go out of town for can my emergency. But we are back at logging n eating good. Good luck
  • freesia16
    freesia16 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Aww, thank you, hubby does not want to do the mfp way, he is just cutting right down on the junk, he has lost 2lb in his first week, so if he can keep it going he will soon lose it.

He is trying to get up the garden a bit more for his exercise.

Swimming I used to do, but the last time I tried, about two yr ago I felt incredible pain (I only do breaststroke with the frog legs) so never went back. I can open my legs even less now, but I do go walking.
    Sometimes I have to phone hubby up when it's too painful to walk to come pick me up.

I don't know know about you 1mcwill but I have good days, bad days and very bad days. It's good that you got back into it.

Today, back at work after a week off on hol, I have had a good day, took some tablets before going for my walk and it's been the best day I have had for a while. So not bad for 6hrs at work and then a 6 mile walk.

Going to get a walking stick to help when I have my bad days, see the physio on 23rd, so will get him to help put it to the right height.

I'm feeling quite positive and yes small steps help.

I will try to keep posting, but I do tend to be more of a lurker lol