Exercise or work outs for loose skin?

Options
spfldpam
spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
I have lost 145 pounds in the last 16 months and have loose skin on my upper arms, tummy, rear and upper thighs. I have been working out during the weight loss process. I am now at my personal weight goal and not wanting to loose more weight but just maintain my weight. I know lifing weights and using the weight machines will only do so much and alot of people have plastic surgeon done to remove loose skin but I was wondering what others do/did that had loose skin? I do free weights and the weight machines at the gym 2-3 times a week and also do water cardio classes and do free weights at home, planks, sit ups and squats daily at home also.
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    No exercise or workouts reduce excess skin. Reduction can happen with some retraction on it's own, but in my experience, people I've worked with who were over goal weight by 80lbs+ ended up having loose skin needed surgery to correct it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    No exercise or workouts reduce excess skin. Reduction can happen with some retraction on it's own, but in my experience, people I've worked with who were over goal weight by 80lbs+ ended up having loose skin needed surgery to correct it.

IDEA Fitness member

Thanks for replying. I kinda knew the answer but was hoping maybe there was a some miracle workout that would help! I do have muscle definition in my upper arms and legs from the weights so I can tell it is helping but that loose skin is still there. UGH!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I am doing what I can to build muscle and reduce fat, but I've also gotten really comfortable wearing long sleeves in all types of weather and I have a good wardrobe of Spanx. The quoted me $4200 for upper arm surgery. No thanks. I'll wear long sleeves and a diamond bracelet before I spend that kind of money for a surgery.

But yeah, loose skin will only shrink back so much, especially for someone who is older-- I'm 49.
  • joellevh
    joellevh Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I have been wondering too. I can't have plastics done due to other health issues. :(
  • ksuetorres
    ksuetorres Posts: 139 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

That isn't what I wanted to hear! I have saggy skin on my upper arms, thighs and abdomen. (no use mentioning triceps!) I'm lifting and working hard to tighten it up, but at my age (62), I realize it might be here to stay. Still, a little hope would be nice! LOL