Runners- Mile 2 drama/woes?

Options
Background: I used to be a runner in high school. (~7.5 min/mile for 3 milers and 5:40 1600s) I am 39. I stopped running for YEARS. I just started back up in March with c25k. (love it btw.) Recently discovered that I have been chronically dehydrated for years also.

WARNING: TMI

Right now: I'm having trouble with mile 2. I run the first mile with an EASY pace at 9 min/mile. I feel awesome. Prior to discovering my dehydration issues, I was experiencing extreme uterine cramping at 1.5 miles. Now that I have mostly resolved it.... the uterine cramping is minimal, but I have bowel issues still and feeling like I need to pee. Mile 2 is like a 14 min/mile while I let things calm down. Then I can continue with 10 min/mile pace after that.

I KNOW- TMI!!!!

How do I get this stabilized?

Replies

• mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    You're running too hard in the beginning. Pace yourself , work on distance first even if you're at 10 Min mi doing that and then your speed will follow.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Slow down your first mile. If you've only recently finished C25K then you're not yet at a stage where that's a sustainable pace.
  • jtarmom
    jtarmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Slow down your first mile. If you've only recently finished C25K then you're not yet at a stage where that's a sustainable pace.

I agree with this. That's a really fast pace for just starting out. I also get the "I have to pee" feeling early on, and I've been running for a while now. I just ignore it and it goes away. Helps if I go right before running.

If it doesn't clear up though and is painful, you might want to consult a doctor to make sure everything is OK.

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Yeah! This is more of a question for your doctor to answer. It may help if you go to a internal doctor that also has experience with sports and/or running. That would be an unsual combination since you normally associate sports doctors as psysiologists. If you have a running store or running group in your area, you may want to ask if there is a sports friendly general practitioner or internal medicine doctor. Some medical professionals out there are just anti-running for some reason.
  • miniberger
    miniberger Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!!! I tried a thorough warm up and slowing down the first mile and it seemed to do the trick!! No pain. At all.
    pdxxbj4iwfb5.png