Celiac

Options
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease a little over a year ago. Instead of losing weight going gluten free, I gained weight. As I'm 60 years old, it's already really hard to lose weight, but with Celiac it's even harder. I go to the gym at least 4 times per week. Any suggestions? It's really frustrating.

Replies

• p7pdbgjfrp
    p7pdbgjfrp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am also relatively new to celiac disease. I was diagnosed approximately year ago as well. I am also a registered nurse who specializes in geriatrics( you still have a long way to go to be in that group 😉)
    I know personally, I started increasing my intake of protein and fat, simply by the nature of eliminating a large portion of the carbohydrates in my diet. Personally, I was trying to recover from weight loss that occurred prior to diagnosis (age 35).
    Though incidental, could you possibly have the same issue with an increase in protein and fat intake? If so, combined with going to the gym regularly, this may be adding some muscle mass, which intern adds weight. Though we will not necessarily be unhealthy weight gain depending on the circumstances, of course.
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    The topic of weight loss is so much more than replacing one item in your diet. How many calories do you eat daily? How much do you burn? Do you truly weigh and measure your food to know exactly how much you eat or do you guess?

Recently my weight loss slowed. Because I always document what I eat I was able to look at my average daily totals each week and see that I wasn't creating a big enough calorie deficit based on my energy expenditures to lose weight, just maintain. I cut out a few snacks and my weight started to drop again.

It may not be the whole solution to your difficulties but it's a place to start.