how much should i eat to bulk up ? ?

Options
How many oz of grilled chicken , rice , etc etc should i be consuming in a meal to bulk up? im 5,8 and weigh 155lbs want to push it to 165 .

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Consume you TDEE + 10% to bulk. Plug that into MFP for your calorie goal and figure out how many bro foods you need to eat to get there lol
  • bizzaro92
    bizzaro92 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    155x14 =2170 calories aim for that if not gaining any weight by two weeks increase to 155x15.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    bizzaro92 wrote: »
    155x14 =2170 calories aim for that if not gaining any weight by two weeks increase to 155x15.

No male is bulking at 2100 calories. Most women wont even bulk at the low.

Op do you know how many calories you maintain at.

Also, you dont need to bulk with chicken and rices... thats stuff from the 60s. Aim for 250 to 500 calories above you tdee, 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass, .35g of fat and the rest carbs.
  • dannyrstrpo
    dannyrstrpo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    all this is new to me whats tdee?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Total daily energy expenditure or your maintenance calories. Have you trackef caloriws before? If not set your account to gain .5 lbs per week (add exercise as part of your activity level) and track for 3 to 4 weeks to see if you are gaining at the correct pace.And dont eat exercise calories.
  • dannyrstrpo
    Options
    @psulemon what do you mean by not eating my exercise calories ?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    bizzaro92 wrote: »

lolz. Those are about my bulking calories as a 5'4" 130 lb woman.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    @psulemon what do you mean by not eating my exercise calories ?

Not sure how long you have been on MFP but if you use the system as designed if you workout you eat the calories you burned through exercise.

So if you set your account to gain .5 lbs and sedentary, it wouldnt account for the calories burned through exercise. So if you workout and burn 300 calories, using the MFP method you would eat an additional 300 calories on top of your base goal. Meaning if mfp set you at 2500 calories, you would eat 2500 + 300 from the exercise calories for a day total.of 2800.

I will say i have never seen anyone on here use the mfp method for weight gain. Most use the tdee method.
  • gowerja
    gowerja Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Look, you don't have to overthink it. Just go on google and find a caloric maintenance calculator. Then simply eat more calories than you require to maintain, which puts you in a surplus. add (for example) 10% to your maintenance. Example, Maintain Weight = 3000, Bulk = 3300(+10%), Cut = 2700(-10%). Don't worry about eating "clean" food such as chicken/rice/broccoli, you can eat those foods if you like but understand that a calorie is a calorie. Eating chicken rice and broccoli won't make you gain less fat than if you hit your macros and calories goal with other foods (for example pizza, ice cream, pasta, burgers, milk etc). Make sure you are getting in at least .8g per 1lb of bodyweight in protein whilst bulking as a high protein intake isn't as necessary when bulking. (Example 175lbs = 140g protein)
  • Onipaa808
    Onipaa808 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Use this to calculate how much you should be eating to bulk.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    slightly above maintenance
  • vitness01
    vitness01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Can you track my diary iam the same as you and I'm in a bulk and I'm hitting 165 I'm also very active
  • Al48feelingreat
    Al48feelingreat Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    In a nutshell get a calorie surplus log all you eat and how much exercise u do daily
    If your in surplus you will bulk
    Best regards
  • Riff1970
    Riff1970 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    We're just about the same size. I've been bulking for a month at 2300 but I usually go over. I gained 8 pounds quick and it stopped there.

On to 2500-3000 and see how it goes. I eat whatever I want. My only goal is 1 gram per pound of body weight of protein. I don't really track the other macros.
  • dannyrstrpo
    Options
    Thanks guys ive gained 5lbs im consuming 3,090 calories a day.
  • rlballjr
    rlballjr Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Nice work! It's not easy to get that many calories down!
  • lee41major
    lee41major Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    How many oz of grilled chicken , rice , etc etc should i be consuming in a meal to bulk up? im 5,8 and weigh 155lbs want to push it to 165 .

I'm 5ft 9, 156lb and consuming 3600 calories a day and only just started to gain a 1lb a week.
    You can get a guide line from calculating your body stats but it's not set in stone. Everyone has a different way of burning up the calories. You might need more or you might need less. If you try a set amount of calories for a week or 2 and find nothings changed then increase by 200 or 300 calories and try that for a week or so until you see progress. Alternatively if you start putting on 2lb a week then your consuming to many calories and you need to decrease calories by 200 or 300 until you get on track with what you want to aim for.
    If your having trouble consuming the quantity of food in a day then look at food high in calories ie peanut butter,cheese or icecream so you don't have to digest large amounts to get your calorie numbers up. High calorie protein shakes only fill you up for a short while then your good to go again.
    Keep pushing yourself and you'll get there.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    A couple years ago, when I was in the lower 150s (I am your height), I was eating somewhere around 2600 calories or so to gain weight.
  • ihab90
    ihab90 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for 1g per kg of protein a day
  • Gapercentie
    Gapercentie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Trying to achieve the best physique and overall wellness of your life ? Lets network and empower each other. Achieving personal health diet and fitness goals with a team of accountability partners is my only agenda here.