Binge eating is a PROBLEM!

Options
2»

Replies

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    It's both a physical and mental issue - many people binge because they are eating too low calories for their bodily needs and so their body actually encourages a binge to get the calories. Most people need a lot more than the 1200 calories that they 'make' themselves eat - I'm a normal weight and height and I'm losing at 2100 calories (with good exercise each week).

Mentally, binging is part of a variety of issues. As a therapist, I've worked with several people who binge. CBT seems to be a good way to deal with it and there are fabulous self-help books as well:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Overcoming-Binge-Eating-Second-Program-ebook/dp/B00DG1H8V4/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1421845860&sr=1-1&keywords=overcoming+binge+eating
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I used to binge. 10 years ago I joined a 12-step program, stopped eating my trigger foods, and have been binge free since.

For me, having a daily food plan really helped. I know what I am going to eat every day, I space my meals out every 4-5 hours, and I make sure to have a snack right before bed. That way, I don't start getting food anxiety after dinner.

Some of my binging was due to poor food choices -- high calorie low nutrient foods that overfilled me with calories but left me hungry. A lot of my binging was due to emotional issues. That part has been difficult, learning to deal with life on life's terms. I strongly suggest that anyone who binges should seek support since there's probably a lot more than just a excessive love of food going on.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    edited- if the OP removed her account, Im not gonna throw pearls here.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    old thread back to 2013. The OP user account has been deleted..
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    When I quit smoking it was (and still is) " Not one cigarette ... there is no such thing as one cigarette ... " One leads to two ... two leads to a pack ... a pack leads to a carton ...

It's kinda the same with junk food for me.

There is no "one poptart" - I scarf the whole box.

There is no "one slice of pizza" - I don't stop 'til the box is empty.

You don't want to hear it, but the best thing in the world is to give those things up that you have particular problems with. It's not a popular opinion around here .. but it works.

You don't have to give up All The Things ... just those that you have problems controlling.

Poptart free since early 2011 ...

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    When I quit smoking it was (and still is) " Not one cigarette ... there is no such thing as one cigarette ... " One leads to two ... two leads to a pack ... a pack leads to a carton ...

You don't want to hear it, but the best thing in the world is to give those things up that you have particular problems with. It's not a popular opinion around here .. but it works.

You don't have to give up All The Things ... just those that you have problems controlling.

You can add them back in as your self control muscle gets stronger though.

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

You can add them back in as your self control muscle gets stronger though.

No.

I cant.

*You* can, but I can't... and I am absolutely AOK with that.

The problems come when some, like me, can't ... but they're NOT OK with it - they fight with it, and that is a struggle that is lost every time. Every. Time.

• MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options

No.

I cant.

*You* can, but I can't... and I am absolutely AOK with that.

The problems come when some, like me, can't ... but they're NOT OK with it - they fight with it, and that is a struggle that is lost every time. Every. Time.

I hear you on that. If I give in to whatever vice food I'm craving at the time then it's just off to the races - I will eat the entire container and may very well go out and get more, it doesn't matter how long I've gone without it. I have to totally abstain. I've found that once the initial cravings subside I don't miss it so abstaining doesn't decrease the quality of my life at all; actually it improved it because I'm not binging on junk food and feel better about myself and also feel physically better in general.

• JLFIT247
    Options
    Binge eating is very common and that is why it's important to not eliminate the foods we love. If you find yourself always craving pizza, then have a slice of pizza...not the whole pie. Eating right is all about moderation. If you are counting then eat with a purpose, and know that everything you put into your body has an overall affect on your short and long term goals.