Open Diary for the first time. Be Nice. I need to know.

Options
spicy618
spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
Am i doing enough lifting for the calories/macros i'm consuming?

Hi everyone!

I've been doing Stronglifts for almost 2 months now.

I started with a personal trainer 3x a week for 12 sessions. I signed up for 12 more sessions, at 2x per week, so i can "ween" myself from the trainer by doing the 3rd workout on my own along with cardio days.

I've learned that i should eat enough to "Fuel" my workouts. However, I don't feel that 3 strength training days, are enough to burn all the calories i'm eating. Granted, i don't eat the "right" foods always, but if i allow myself a Sweet Treat, i will do cardio to minimize the damage.

My clothes aren't any looser! I just read another thread where a young lady posted she didn't notice any change until 3 - 4 months. I can wait that long to see results, but I WANT to see results.

So my question is.

Am i doing enough to see results within 3 - 4 months, with my calories and macros?

I've opened my Diary to the public for the first time since I joined MFP. Please be kind. I know I'm a Sugar Addict. I'm working on it. :flowerforyou:

My stats:

45 y/o female, 5'4", Weighed 155 on April 29, 2013 (I really dislike weighing myself). Want to lose 10 -15 lbs.

Lift Numbers:
Deadlift - 115
Squat - 95 (going up tomorrow)
OHP - 55
Bench - 65
Rows - 65 (going up tomorrow)
Assited pullups till failure (doesn't take long for me to fail :laugh: )

Cardio: Rollerblading, Rowing machine, Stairmaster and Walking (40 - 50 minutes, at least 2x a week).

I hope i communicated my question clearly.

Thanks All :flowerforyou:

FYI, I haven't let my trainer measure me again because i'm afraid i'll give-up if i see an increase instead of decrease.

Replies

• spicy618
    Options
    Self- Bump
    :flowerforyou:
  • emibrus1
    emibrus1 Posts: 59
    Options
    I am not qualified (or experienced) enough to really comment but I have to say that it seems the majority of MFP's population thinks the sugar goals on the site are far too low and thus don't track them. It appears a majority of your sugar comes from fruit...and that's not bad so long as you don't struggle from Diabetes. I track calories/carbs/fat/protein/sodium/fiber in case you're curious.

Also great job on tracking everything! I tend to skip the spices since I hardly use them xD Hasn't hindered me so far at least.

Congrats on the lifting! I lift too but I've had pretty noticeable results in the 2 months I've done it. Then again I am a bit shorter than you (5'2") and just like how a few pounds shows up fast on me the loss of them shows fast as well. But I can't imagine you NOT having any improvements doing that kind of exercise =D Are you taking measurements?

Have you looked into HIIT training? I've just started it with my lifting but I've seen many people have great success with the combination.
  • spicy618
    Options
    I am not qualified (or experienced) enough to really comment but I have to say that it seems the majority of MFP's population thinks the sugar goals on the site are far too low and thus don't track them. It appears a majority of your sugar comes from fruit...and that's not bad so long as you don't struggle from Diabetes. I track calories/carbs/fat/protein/sodium/fiber in case you're curious.

Also great job on tracking everything! I tend to skip the spices since I hardly use them xD Hasn't hindered me so far at least.

Congrats on the lifting! I lift too but I've had pretty noticeable results in the 2 months I've done it. Then again I am a bit shorter than you (5'2") and just like how a few pounds shows up fast on me the loss of them shows fast as well. But I can't imagine you NOT having any improvements doing that kind of exercise =D Are you taking measurements?

Have you looked into HIIT training? I've just started it with my lifting but I've seen many people have great success with the combination.

Hi Emiburus.

Thanks for taking the time to view my diary :flowerforyou:

I've incorporated a little HIIT into my normal cardio exercises. Tabata, i think it's called. 20 seconds Hi intensity, 10 seconds rest.

I think my age makes a big difference.

Keep up the good work you are doing. Noticeable changes is always Great motivation. :)
  • Jessi_
    Jessi_ Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey there - I noticed that not too many people have replied so I thought I'd try and help :) I looked through your diary and it's clear you're really trying - kudos for tracking even the small stuff. Based on what I saw, it looks to me like you're eating a lot of processed food - creamers instead of milk, cheese slices instead of real cheese, packaged sauces, etc. While low-fat varities of food are often less calories, they're no better for you and can have a huge effect on weight loss.

I'd recommend trying to incorporate more whole foods in your diet, and avoiding anything that comes from a box. Instead of eating a slice of processed cheese, try a few small cubes with some grapes. Use milk in your coffee instead of flavored whiteners and try to cut out the sugar.

You're also not getting much protein! I wouldn't worry about going over your daily protein allotment if you're sticking within you calorie goals, your body needs good protein to function and it's really helpful when trying to lose weight.

I hope some of this helps!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out the Eat, Train, Progress group? I highly recommend it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
  • hrtchoco
    hrtchoco Posts: 156 Member
    Options

Sugar goal IS too low! I ate 6 ounces of homemade PLAIN greek yogurt (no sugar added), and that's half of my sugar goal!. bleh.
  • spicy618
    Options
    Hey there - I noticed that not too many people have replied so I thought I'd try and help :) I looked through your diary and it's clear you're really trying - kudos for tracking even the small stuff. Based on what I saw, it looks to me like you're eating a lot of processed food - creamers instead of milk, cheese slices instead of real cheese, packaged sauces, etc. While low-fat varities of food are often less calories, they're no better for you and can have a huge effect on weight loss.

I'd recommend trying to incorporate more whole foods in your diet, and avoiding anything that comes from a box. Instead of eating a slice of processed cheese, try a few small cubes with some grapes. Use milk in your coffee instead of flavored whiteners and try to cut out the sugar.

You're also not getting much protein! I wouldn't worry about going over your daily protein allotment if you're sticking within you calorie goals, your body needs good protein to function and it's really helpful when trying to lose weight.

I hope some of this helps!

Hey Jessi. Nice to meet you. Thank you very much for taking the time to look at my diary and posting for the FIRST time! I feel Special :flowerforyou: :laugh:

That information really helps and confirms what i've read here on the forums. I really should be eating more "real" foods and not worry soo much about the calorie counts. I'm going back to milk for my coffee for starters. I started using less sugar in my coffee this morning. Down from 12 teaspoons of sugar, to 1 packet of splenda. lol Okay, some sugar free Torani Coffee Flavoring. :laugh: For me this a big change. :drinker:

Thanks again :flowerforyou:
  • spicy618
    Options

Sugar goal IS too low! I ate 6 ounces of homemade PLAIN greek yogurt (no sugar added), and that's half of my sugar goal!. bleh.

I know what you mean. 1 fruit and a glass of milk will put you over. My sugar level is never Green. lol
  • spicy618
    Options
    Have you checked out the Eat, Train, Progress group? I highly recommend it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Thank you for this link. Will definitely check it out. Your progress is amazing! I checked your profile in another thread and was really impressed, Great job!
  • kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My question would be what's happening on the days you aren't logging. No criticism here at all - I skip days too, but I've found that when I do it's a sign that it was a disordered day for me, meaning that my eating was probably disordered too and I ate way more or way less than I had intended. I did some quick and dirty calculations with TDEE and 4 days that you did log, and it looks like you should be good on calories if those days are a reflection of what you're doing all week. (I'm no expert but I like numbers and science :smile: )
  • spicy618
    Options
    My question would be what's happening on the days you aren't logging. No criticism here at all - I skip days too, but I've found that when I do it's a sign that it was a disordered day for me, meaning that my eating was probably disordered too and I ate way more or way less than I had intended. I did some quick and dirty calculations with TDEE and 4 days that you did log, and it looks like you should be good on calories if those days are a reflection of what you're doing all week. (I'm no expert but I like numbers and science :smile: )

Hi and thank you Kelly :flowerforyou:

You are absolutely right about the disorder on the weekends.:laugh: I'm mentally counting but I eat out for almost every meal. :embarassed: I'm going to commit to logging the weekends and see what i'm actually working with. I've just been lazy.

Thanks for doing that calculation. That was good news. :happy:
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I would agree with wondering about days you aren't logging? I am not an expert either, but some ideas to throw out there:

I've always heard you need a minimum of 1g/ lb of lean body mass (did your trainer test it? you can do it with online calculations etc, for ex, mine is supposedly around 108, so I SHOULD be getting about 108) I would think this is esp important as you are lifting!

I've noticed that you go over on carbs and under on fats sometimes, maybe consider upping your healthy fats (again no expert but fats help you process protein, and healthy fats are great for you! avocados/olive oils/nuts/etc!), lowering your carbs...

Also, I've seen a lot of caffeine on there, for me too much caffeine messes with my diet, increases my sugar tooth, etc, I don't know for you, but its just a thought!

Your calories look pretty good to me... Definintely check out some of the heavy lifting for women type of groups/forums on here, lots of fabulous success stories and info, and some really knowledgeable people!

Good luck friend, your workouts are inspiring! I want to start 5x5 next month after I've purchased my own weight set ;)
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    My suggestion (other than those already given) would be to eat breakfast. (When I started typing, I had not seen any comments on this yet).