Am I using MFP right??

Options
Hi people. Newbie here
Getting a little confused and worried i haven't been using the app correctly. Am I right in saying you eat back your exercise calories?? (iv actually only been eating about half of them back as I think the app over estimates calories burnt) my calorie goal for the day is 1350, and say one day I 'burnt' 500, that would give me 1850 calories for the day?? (If I wanted them all that is) is that right? Or should I only stick to 1350 each day and ignore calories burnt?? Confused

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I think eat half back is a good start; mfp does tend to overestimate calorie burns for a lot of people. If you're losing faster than expected after 4-6 weeks or start experiencing symptoms of under eating (lack of enegry, hair falling out, etc) bump up your calories.

Mfp is just a best guess at what your calories should be, so keep on mind it will take adjustment to figure out. Give each change enough time to see if it's working. And don't try to lose too aggressively; many people find extreme deficits difficult to maintain long term.
  • mrsmackieblacky
    mrsmackieblacky Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I think eat half back is a good start; mfp does tend to overestimate calorie burns for a lot of people. If you're losing faster than expected after 4-6 weeks or start experiencing symptoms of under eating (lack of enegry, hair falling out, etc) bump up your calories.

Mfp is just a best guess at what your calories should be, so keep on mind it will take adjustment to figure out. Give each change enough time to see if it's working. And don't try to lose too aggressively; many people find extreme deficits difficult to maintain long term.

Great thanks!! :smile:
  • fi_b
    fi_b Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    This website might help you out a bit;

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

MFP does do some strange things with estimates, but if you work from your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) then you should be pretty sweet! For weight loss you should aim at 80-85% of your TDEE. But it's all in the article, and there is a TDEE calculator at the bottom.

Good luck :smiley:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Most only eat back half of the exercise calories, as yes, the burns are overestimated.