Spin shoe recommendations please

Hi All,

I'm going to ask for spinning shoes and cleats for my birthday and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations?
I am a woman with size 7(UK) feet and I think they're pretty average width (although I'm not sure how you tell that!). I'm currently just wearing my trainers which are new balance minimus and I want to up my workout by wearing proper shoes to get more power transfer and ability to pull up without getting a numb foot from the cage!

I don't want to spend a fortune.so under £60 would be good.
I don't do any road cycling so they are specifically for indoor cycle/spinning classes on a keiser bike (spd cleats I believe).

Thanks.

Replies

• BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Really, no one has any recommendations?
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    New to spinning but I bought Louis Garneau Escape Cycling Shoes. They weren't too expensive and got them on sale. Not much to compare them to but they work for me. Needed to buy the SPD cleats separately.

They run small so ordered next size up and they fit as cycle shoes should.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Each manufacturer has their own lasts fits slightly differently, I've been using a fairly low end pair of Shimanos for several years (spinning & on the road).

You've got a couple of great on-line retailers in the UK (I've had them both ship stuff to me here in Canada) and you would probably be fine picking up something from their clearance selection (both have generous return policies)

chainreactioncycles.com/

ribblecycles.co.uk/

With SPD cleats (assuming that's what they're using) you could go with a road shoe or MTB (some people prefer MTB as you can walk in the - the cleat is usually recessed a little)

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    MTB style with recessed cleats make it easier to walk from the changing room to the bike!

You could also buy road shoes (flat sole) and fit cleat adaptors to stop the cleats chewing up the gym floor and make it marginally easier to walk on.

Evans Cycles online, Fawkes Cycles and Wiggle all tend to have good deals on clearance items at this time of year.
    Your budget should be fine.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    That is cool they have clip in shoes for a spin class

That is not popular here

Does the instructor advise you on correct seat height on the first time so you will be able to set your seat correctly from then on?

Seems like if you are going to clip in, that would be done as well

Good luck!!

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited November 2015
    The problem with cycling shoes is much like any other sporting shoe - the fit and sizing can vary by manufacturer.

I suggest you go into somewhere like Evans and try on a number of pairs within budget and see which fits the best. Evans will price match many retailers as well and I think the LG range is exclusive to them (I like LG stuff generally as it is good quality for a reasonable price).

With your budget you will have no problem finding a great pair.

PS: be sure to check that the cleats are compatible with your spin bike which are usually SPD rather than SPD-SL or Look.
  • BalletAndBarbells
    Thanks guys. Going to try some on at the weekend and then choose!
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    I have a pair of Specialized Spirita RBX that I absolutely love and have recommend to others. I use mine primarily for road cycling, but they also work well for spin classes with SPD cleats. They have a more rubberized sole than most road cycling shoes, so they work well for walking on slippery gym floors. And as a bonus, they are cute!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,527 Member
    edited November 2015
    I just use my cycling shoes, but if you don't want to go with something that has cleats, try to find something with a fairly smooth but firm sole, and a fairly solid, supported toe box so that you can tighten the straps and not feel like your feet are being crushed.

My cycling shoes are Lakes ... they're an older version of the MX105. I like them because they are narrow enough for my feet, and because I can walk in them.
    http://www.lakecycling.com/
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2015
    For spinning I prefer my canvas mountain bike shoes (assuming they have SPD pedals). I like a little give for spinning. I find that I have fewer aches and pains from the very repetitive motion of spinning if I can move a bit in my shoe.
  • BalletAndBarbells
    Bought shimano dynablast - went up 1 size and got them for a bargain at nearly half price (£56 instead of £100). Really happy with them and definitely add to my workout! :D