Barebones gym kit (workout and shower)

Options
My gym is located halfway home and work. Previously I'd go after work but as I'm now working until midnight, its not practical.

Currently, all I take to the gym is workout clothes, trainers and a gym towel all of which I can fit in a little rucksack. So adding shower stuff has really added to the bulk and I'm also thinking I'll need two bags, one for wet items, one for dry. The concept makes me feel like I'm checking into a hotel not going to the gym.

How do other people who have a similar routine cope?

Replies

• Daisies4Days
    Daisies4Days Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    A good gym bag will usually have a separate compartment for wet items... I would also wrap them in a plastic bag. You can find a good selection on Amazon. I just changed my work schedule and now have to get up very early, hit the gym and go directly to work.
  • taffyapple87
    taffyapple87 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    aut2run wrote: »
    A good gym bag will usually have a separate compartment for wet items... I would also wrap them in a plastic bag. You can find a good selection on Amazon. I just changed my work schedule and now have to get up very early, hit the gym and go directly to work.

Can I ask what you take? I'm thinking I need two towels but wouldn't that be bulky?
  • firststepformefal
    firststepformefal Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Maybe try microfibre towels. They do a pretty good job of drying you off, but are not as bulky as regular towels. They do feel a bit funny, strange. Also, do not dry your towels with dryer sheets or fabric softener. That reduces the towel's absorbency.

Anyway, I take 2 big microfibre towels and a hand towel, a combined shampoo/conditioner, hairbrush, deodorant, gym clothes and shoes, extra hair ties, and a water bottle. I wrap my wet stuff in the dryer of the towels and put everything in a plastic shopping bag. I have 2 sets of clothes and towels so I always have something dry and fresh, in case I forget to launder everything when I get home.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    My gym supplies free plastic bags for wet kit, so that helps, but you could bring your own.

I bring a towel, wash bag (shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, razor), deodorant, moisturiser, makeup, barrel brush, heat spray, perfume, clean underwear, change of shoes, and work clothes usually in a hanger bag. Most of it fits in a rucksack. Wet stuff/dirty gym kit goes in one plastic bag, trainers in another, then back in the rucksack. I get away with one towel as I take my underwear into the shower cubicle with me (inside a waterproof bag hung on the back of the door with my towel), dry my body off, pop them on, then wrap my hair up in that towel. I care not about being half naked in the changing room so this saves me space in the bag.

I do seem to manage with a less bulky bag than a lot of the women at my gym, which sometimes makes me wonder if I'm just always leaving something crucial out! :D
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Get a bigger bag.
  • taffyapple87
    taffyapple87 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice about Microfiber towels. Not tried them yet as waiting for them to arrive but they certainly look less bulky than my bathroom towels.

Still not found a gym bag that I like though. I wanted to use a Amazon gift card I was given for my birthday but nothing jumps out at me.
  • shellbelle6369
    shellbelle6369 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use a daypack for hikers. It allows lots of room for bulky items and clothes. It also has PLENTY of compartments for organizing personal affects. I strap my shoes to the outside of the bag and keep grocery store bags tucked neatly for wet items. Works for me!