A couple other free courses (July start)

Options

Replies

• smw1023
    smw1023 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Never knew about this...thanks!
  • sajeffe
    sajeffe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Carry on, carry on. :glasses:
  • sajeffe
    sajeffe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by 'other'? Were there even more courses in the first place?

Yes. This is the fourth thread on coursera. Check out coursera.org. If you click on "explore courses," and scroll ALL the way down, you should see courses that are over but might still have the lectures and materials available.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the links!
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    bump
  • triskaidekaphile13
    triskaidekaphile13 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    What a fantastic resource. Thank you so much for posting.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    This course is scheduled in September, and while it's not "Food and Nutrition" it's definitely a health issue. If you have any questions or concerns about vaccines, please take the time to check this one out too.

https://www.coursera.org/course/vaccines

Paul A. Offit, MD
    This course will discuss issues regarding vaccines and vaccine safety: the history, science, benefits, and risks of vaccines, together with the controversies surrounding vaccines and answers to common questions that parents have about vaccines.

About the Course
    This course will discuss issues regarding vaccines and vaccine safety. Specifically,

1) the history of vaccines, focusing on different strategies used during the past two centuries to make them,
    2) the science of vaccines, focusing on methods of attenuation of various viruses and bacteria,
    3) the benefits of vaccines, focusing on the impact of vaccines on health both in the United States and abroad,
    4) the risks of vaccines, both real and perceived,
    5) the controversies surrounding vaccines, specifically that vaccines cause autism, multiple sclerosis, neurodevelopmental delays, diabetes or other chronic problems, and
    6) answers to common questions that parents have about vaccines, such as the fear that too many vaccines given too soon weaken, overwhelm, or perturb the immune system or that vaccines contain harmful additives or manufacturing residuals.

For additional information about vaccines, the Vaccine Education Center, or its program for parents, called Parents PACK, please visit:
    http://vaccine.chop.edu
    http://vaccine.chop.edu/parents
    http://www.prevent-hpv.com
  • Kellylicious01
    Options
    Awesome, thanks!
  • s50s
    s50s Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tinylightsbelow
    tinylightsbelow Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    So glad there's a shout-out to this! I'm currently enrolled in the Nutrition for Health Promotion & Disease Prevention class. A lot of it is stuff you'd probably know if you frequently research health and nutrition, but I've learned a few interesting things from it as well. I'm also taking The Fiction of Relationship and The Social Context of Mental Health and Illness, though of course those courses are not related to MFP so closely.
  • TheresaTester
    TheresaTester Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    Thanks!
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Interesting thanks for posting
  • richUK
    richUK Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    great stuff, thanks! :)
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    So glad there's a shout-out to this! I'm currently enrolled in the Nutrition for Health Promotion & Disease Prevention class. A lot of it is stuff you'd probably know if you frequently research health and nutrition, but I've learned a few interesting things from it as well. I'm also taking The Fiction of Relationship and The Social Context of Mental Health and Illness, though of course those courses are not related to MFP so closely.

Interesting choices - I think I might wishlist those for next time around, just in case ;)
  • tinylightsbelow
    tinylightsbelow Posts: 85 Member
    Options

Interesting choices - I think I might wishlist those for next time around, just in case ;)
    They are both wonderful! I particularly like The Fiction of Relationship, but I'm also an English literature major so that heavily contributes. There is quite a lot of reading involved, but in my opinion it is really worth it.
  • 29bubbles
    29bubbles Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!!! I signed up for two fo them. :)
  • rCatheriner
    rCatheriner Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bump!