Need good ideas for more protein

Options
KatAdele
KatAdele Posts: 290 Member
I am having trouble getting enough protein in each day (but of course no trouble getting carbs in). I'm looking for ideas for higher protein snacks. I'm not a big fan of protein powders. If you look at my diary I don't log vegetables all the time but do eat them. (And yes I know vegetables have calories but I don't think they are affecting my overall numbers that much.). Thanks.

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    Meat
    Cheese
    Nuts (a better source of fat than protein though)
    Jerky
    Greek yogurt
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Protein is the easiest to get IMO.

Chicken Breast, lean pork, eggs, fish, peanut butter, low fat cottage cheese, lean beef,

Chicken and fish has few calories but lots of protein so fill up on it instead of carb rich foods.
  • Runhard13
    Runhard13 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    tuna...greek yogurt..almonds...depending on how much protein your looking to take it its not really that hard to to hit a modest number say 50 or so..trying to get into the 100-150g's range usually requires powders or Protein infused drinks..some of which are high in carbs and sugar too. Naked and Bolthouse both put out some protein packed juice drinks which are loaded with vitamins as well. You can also drink Protein shots which are liquid protein..roughly 26g's or so ..the taste is a little nasty but for the benefits alone its worth it.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I make deviled eggs with avocado in place of the mayo YUM!
  • estrange22
    estrange22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Gatorade also makes a protein filled drink. If I am out of powder, I slam one of those after my work out. It tastes like G2 (low cal), has lots of protein and electrolytes.
  • DanielKeys
    Options
    Egg whites. Each morning I mix the equivalent of 4 eggs in liquid egg whites with one regular egg. I get over 30g of protein each morning and I'm full through lunch.

Deviled Eggs with avocado sounds amazing!!!!!
  • vickilowell
    vickilowell Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I really love "Chobani Bites" mini greek yogurts...100 calories and in flavors like raspberry-chocolate and coffee-chocolate. Packed with protein and a dessert-like treat.
  • coco3382458
    coco3382458 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    bump for more ideas.
  • Mjhnbgff
    Mjhnbgff Posts: 112
    Options
    Protein is the easiest to get IMO.

Chicken Breast, lean pork, eggs, fish, peanut butter, low fat cottage cheese, lean beef,

Chicken and fish has few calories but lots of protein so fill up on it instead of carb rich foods.

2nd. I easily get 120 grams a day and I don't even eat beef or pork and the only dairy I eat is Greek yogurt. I'm not low carb but I don't eat packaged or processed foods. I think I get most of my protein from chicken and legumes. A small container of plain Fage 0% has 18 grams of protein. It's really not that hard to bump up your protein, unless you're just a super picky eater.

My doctor told me I needed more protein so now I make an effort to include more protein, but that requires some planning on my part. It might help you if you planned your meals. Maybe not every single meal every day but have an idea of what you're going to eat most days. I pre-log so I know how much and what I should be eating. If I see that what I plan to eat isn't going to be enough then I tweak my log. For example, what I wanted to eat today wasn't going to give me enough protein for the day so I switched out some fruit for some extra chicken at lunch and added a cup of Fage 0% for my snack instead of fruit.

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you!
  • nickdemarco
    nickdemarco Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Whatever you choose, here's a good way to evaluate food. Foods with a ratio of calories to protein of 10:1 or less (e.g. 10 grams of protein per 100 calories) are excellent "bang for the buck". 2.5 ounces of tuna in my salad, half a standard can, for example, gave me 18 grams of protein for only 82 calories - a fabulous ratio of 4.56:1!

I buy a "meat stick" (think Slim Jim-style) from Vitamin Shoppe, and available elsewhere as well, called OsTrim. 1 snack stick is 80 calories, but gives 14 grams of protein, and is 96% fat free. And, it tastes excellent. Comes in a variety of flavors.

But be smart about your choices. There are "protein drinks" and "protein bars" out there that give you more protein than their competitors, but their calorie count is abnormally high. Drinks like Ensure will not deliver a good ratio. Check your nutritional info and caveat emptor...
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Beans
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds
    Eggs
    Avocado
    edamame (roast them and put a little garlic salt, so good)
    nuts
    any form of meat/seafood
    my go to is sausage or pepperoni sticks