Gluten Free Tomato Tart

Options
pixlamarque
pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
I made this tart for a big family meal last weekend using my father-in-law's home grown tomatoes. It was incredible. See the notes at the end about substituting other veggies. Dairy free alternatives are listed. This would be great with some caramelized onions, too. I cut it into 8 pieces and a slice came out to 249 calories. This has a lot of flavor and would make a great lunch with a side salad.

Tomato Tart (Gluten Free)

Crust:
4 ounces (about 1 cup) white rice flour
1.25 ounces (about 1/4 cup) brown rice flour
1 ounce (about 1/4 cup) tapioca flour
3/4 cup grated Parmesan/Romano cheese blend
1 teaspoon Herbs de Provence (pre-made spice blend, found at most grocery stores or look up recipe online)
1/2 teaspoon salt (increase salt to 3/4 teaspoons if omitting cheese)
4 ounces (1 stick) butter, chilled and cut into small pieces ( use 10 tablespoons shortening if dairy-free.)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar plus enough ice water to equal 2 ounces (1/4 cup)
Filling:
1 Tablespoon EACH of spicy brown mustard and Dijon mustard ***see note at the end of the recipe
3-4 ounces of soft goat cheese
3-4 medium ripe tomatoes, sliced and lightly patted dry with a paper towel
olive oil for brushing
salt

To make the crust, combine the dry ingredients (white rice through salt) in a bowl. Add the small pieces of butter and cut the butter into the flour mixture with two forks or a pastry blender until there are no chunks of butter. It should look a bit grainy. Add the vinegar/ice water mix and combine with the fork until it just holds together.
If you have a tart pan, feel free to use it, but if you don't, get a large cookie sheet and either line it with parchment paper or spray it with non-stick spray. Dump the dough out in the middle of the pan and pat it into a round, flat shape. Cover it with saran wrap and press with your hands on the saran wrap until you form a 10" circle. Pinch the edge to make a small lip around the outside. Try to make sure that it is an even thickness. Place the pan in the freezer and freeze for 30 minutes-1 hour (or longer if you need to).
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Remove the tart shell from the freezer and pull off the plastic wrap. Bake the tart shell for 20 minutes. Remove the tart shell from the oven and place on a wire rack. Increase the oven temperature to 425 degrees.
Brush the inside of the tart shell with the mustards. Pinch off small pieces of goat cheese and sprinkle them on top of the mustards. Starting in the center, layer the slices of tomato on top of the cheese, overlapping as you go. Feel free to cut some slices in half as you get to the edge and run out of room. Lightly brush the tomatoes with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt.
Bake until tomatoes soften, about 18 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack before cutting (a pizza cutter works great).

****Notes: White and brown rice flour and tapioca flour (also called starch) can be found at health food or whole food stores. I have not tried it but I would imagine that you could substitute all purpose flour equal to the amount of the combined white rice flour + brown rice flour + tapioca flour (1 1/2 cups). It *should* work. You can use any kind of herb/herb mix you like. When I made this tart I did not actually measure the mustards, I just squirted a bit directly on the crust and brushed it around with a pastry brush. It was probably about a tablespoon each, not more. You don't want much, just a thin layer. Too much juice on the tomatoes will make the leftovers (if there are any) soggy in the middle. I would imagine this would be good with other vegetables as well, such as zucchini or eggplant, but you would want to saute the slices first (they won't cook as quickly as tomatoes).

Replies

• vinylscratch
    vinylscratch Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm drooling. Could you use Cup 4 Cup in place of the different flours?
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I haven't used that myself, but I don't see why not. Seriously, this was so good I think I'm going to run home and make another one. And this time there won't be so many people for dinner, so it's MINE, all MINE. Ha ha. Ok, mostly mine.
  • jkmiller82
    jkmiller82 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Yum! Bump!