Same size after 20 pound weight loss

Options

Replies

• Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'm super short (4'10"), have lost 20 pounds and my clothes still fit okay. I'm sure I could buy a smaller size jeans, but the ones I have aren't horribly baggy. And they weren't overly tight before I lost weight. So I could very easily believe that taller people could lose 20 pounds and not change a size.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Don't feel upset about it. I'm short [5ft] and I went down a jeans size after losing the first 10lbs but some of that was stomach bloat. I've now lost another 9lbs but more overall so won't be downsizing again until I've lost quite a few pounds more.
  • norcogrrl
    norcogrrl Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Aani15 wrote: »
    It is not true.
    I have lost 7+ kg (1 kg=2.2 pounds) and gained 4% muscle mass (or lost 4% body fat).

Addition: I had lost both muscle mass and body fat when focusing on cardio alone back in 2013 (10 km runs/4 times a week). But for the past two years, I am weight training, cardio mostly as a warm up and on off days, cycling, swim etc. if have time )

You're misunderstanding how the percentages interact with each other. As you lose fat your percentage of lean muscle mass will increase: providing you don't lose muscle along with the fat (or lose a significant amount of muscle). Your new fitness regime (including lifting) is preserving your muscle mass this time. An increase in muscle mass percentage does not mean an increase in actual muscle while losing fat.

Nevertheless, well done! It sounds like you're doing exceptionally well and that you've got your regime nicely dialled in. :)
  • Aani15
    Aani15 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    norcogrrl wrote: »
    Aani15 wrote: »
    It is not true.
    I have lost 7+ kg (1 kg=2.2 pounds) and gained 4% muscle mass (or lost 4% body fat).

Addition: I had lost both muscle mass and body fat when focusing on cardio alone back in 2013 (10 km runs/4 times a week). But for the past two years, I am weight training, cardio mostly as a warm up and on off days, cycling, swim etc. if have time )

You're misunderstanding how the percentages interact with each other. As you lose fat your percentage of lean muscle mass will increase: providing you don't lose muscle along with the fat (or lose a significant amount of muscle). Your new fitness regime (including lifting) is preserving your muscle mass this time. An increase in muscle mass percentage does not mean an increase in actual muscle while losing fat.

Nevertheless, well done! It sounds like you're doing exceptionally well and that you've got your regime nicely dialled in. :)

Thanks for the compliment.
    Okay maybe I got it wrong.
    I believe that fat doesn't convert into muscle and more muscle burns more fat. I am not just talking about composition.

Measurements, now measurements don't lie.
    To be honest, I have lost a little muscle mass along with fat ( because my understanding is that fat loss cannot be itself, muscle loss happens simultaneous (please correct me if I am wrong here) but amount of muscle mass lost can be comparatively way lesser if weight lifting (preservation of muscle mass))).

My measurements have changed dramatically but more importantly I have the best body ever and I have ever started cut/gain cycle yet. Because my body fat % is still above 20% (22.5).

Now muscle size will grow when bulking (along with fat gains), I totally agree with that.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I went down one jean size at about 15 lbs... From 12 (assorted brands, mostly 32's in high quality denim like Hudson & Paige ~sobs~) to 10.
    Luckily, my neighbor who is also losing weight gave me a whole stack of 10's to root through. Again, all sorts of brands so it's pretty accurate.
    If it's any consolation I still have my fricken double chin. I'd wear bigger britches longer if I could lose this sucker who photo bombs every picture I'm in.
    When you find the justice in weight loss let me know!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    The pants I wore at 185-190 were a 14 and they were very tight at the top. Serious muffin top. I still wear them at 155 lbs but I can now pull them on and off without undoing the button, and the legs are slimmer.

Before I wore a belt to help disguise (feebly) my muffin top. Now I wear a belt to hold my pants up.
  • voldemortisreal
    voldemortisreal Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    OP, it also depends on how you're built. Like another poster on here (aes1219), I'm 5'5". After my daughter was born I was around 160-170 and in a size 16; at my smallest (126#s) I was a size 10; at 130-135#s I was a size 12, in the 190s and I'm still in an 18 (though they are getting looser :smiley: ).

I've lost a bit over 20 pounds and have yet to drop an official size (but, like another poster mentioned, there was some stretch involved :wink: so that's not too surprising).

The simple fact is that we're all built different. I have hips, thighs and a big butt--always have--which means I'll probably never wiggle into a size 2. BUT, I (and we all) can look amazing in whatever size we end up in. It's just a number, don't stress; rock the size you're wearing and step over the haters. You got this!
  • mareacuda
    mareacuda Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It takes me about 40 lbs to lose one clothing size. I am 6' tall though. I was a size 16/18, down nearly 50 lbs and just started getting into 14's. I know from previous weight loss that it will be another 30 before I see a size 12. Beyond that I am not sure what will happen because I have never been smaller than that! :)
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Took me 25 for the first size (18 to 16), 20 for the second size then I went from 14-10 in 20#.

Bigger sizes fit a wider range of weights.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    OP, it also depends on how you're built. Like another poster on here (aes1219), I'm 5'5". After my daughter was born I was around 160-170 and in a size 16; at my smallest (126#s) I was a size 10; at 130-135#s I was a size 12, in the 190s and I'm still in an 18 (though they are getting looser :smiley: ).!

To add another comparison. ....I'm 5'5" & 172#. Currently wearing a size 10 comfortably.

Pre kids I was a size 9 at this weight.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    Took me 25 for the first size (18 to 16), 20 for the second size then I went from 14-10 in 20#.

Bigger sizes fit a wider range of weights.

This seems very true to me.
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    And, I had a child who wore the same pair of shorts from age 2 to 4 (or longer). Obviously her body changed a ton (and she lost a diaper) but they still fit. Maybe it was the elastic or the stretch fabric, too. It really didn't mean anything. Anyway, congratulations on 20 pounds gone gone gone. Sounds like you are doing super!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    It took me 50 lbs to drop a size and even then it is not consistent. I have to wear very specific brands to fit in a smaller size.
  • SuzLink
    SuzLink Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've lost 59lbs & I've only gone down one size in jeans. But I can fit into 2 sizes smaller in trackies & some tops, depending on their style. I thought it would be more, but it must depend on how people carry their weight. the biggest difference I see is in my face/neck & my waist, but I still have a bit of lower belly & large thighs (even if not as much as before)
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    That happened to me once too. I lost 20 pounds but same size clothing. I think part of it was loss of water weight and part of it was that I often lose in my face first.
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    OP, it also depends on how you're built. Like another poster on here (aes1219), I'm 5'5". After my daughter was born I was around 160-170 and in a size 16; at my smallest (126#s) I was a size 10; at 130-135#s I was a size 12, in the 190s and I'm still in an 18 (though they are getting looser :smiley: ).

I've lost a bit over 20 pounds and have yet to drop an official size (but, like another poster mentioned, there was some stretch involved :wink: so that's not too surprising).

The simple fact is that we're all built different. I have hips, thighs and a big butt--always have--which means I'll probably never wiggle into a size 2. BUT, I (and we all) can look amazing in whatever size we end up in. It's just a number, don't stress; rock the size you're wearing and step over the haters. You got this!

I agree with what you stated. I've always had a big booty and only got down to a size 4 at my lowest weight 115, I'm 5'4. I've now lost 17 lbs. At my highest weight, 164 I was wearing a tight size 14 jeans, now I'm in a size 12 but I can't fit in all size 12's, Express brand is too small for me. I've always carried a high body fat % which effects the size I can wear.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    It's interesting how we are all built so differently and the same weight wears different sizes. I'm 5'7 I weigh 192# and my size 12s are getting loose. I always thought I had a big butt but I'm coming to realize that I carry weight fairly proportionate.
  • FitCurves1818
    FitCurves1818 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I second that bigger sizes require more loss to go down. I intend to work my way down the sizes I have in my closet. I've lost 30lbs and I can still wear my 18s. They don't fit well, definitely looser and require a belt, but I can still wear them. I have a few pair of 16s that I can currently wear, but the rest are a 5-10lbs away from comfortably wearing them in public. I don't have any 14s, so I imagine if I skipped them on my way up, I'll skip them on my way down. I'm only 30lbs from the weight I was the last time I was able to fit into my 6s and 8s, so it looks like the next 30 will have smaller size NSVs more frequently than the first 30. I also second the poster who suggested trying on some smaller sizes to see if they fit. I've been wearing the same pair of jeans the last two months because I thought they were the only ones I had that fit, tried on some skinnys I couldn't even pull over my butt a month ago and last week I got them all the way up, buttoned, zipped and they're not very flattering because they're a little too big. I missed the opportunity to wear them because I assumed since I was still "fitting" into my current clothes, that meant I wouldn't fit into the smaller clothes. I now plan to try things on every 2 weeks to see where I really am versus where I think I am.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Awesome job on your loss. Keep doing what you're doing and it will come.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10". I started 1 year ago at 270 lbs, and a size 20/22. I'm currently 211 and a size 16/18. Technically I've dropped a whopping 2 sizes in 60 lbs. *blows a kazoo*.