Options

Replies

• OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I don't love pizza. I can take it or leave it.

I have enough trouble loving pasta and tacos.
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    1 part Greek yogurt with 1 part flour makes a great pizza base. It's relatively low calorie for a pretty big pizza. Add whatever toppings you like. You control the cheese and such, so you can make it as healthy as you want. Slimming world's smash pizza base is pretty low calorie too, and tastes good as well.

That sounds interesting. I will have to try it. Is it sort of a cracker consistency when baked? Do you have to press it into a pan or does it roll out? Do you have to pre bake the crust? Thanks.

I use this 2 ingredient pizza dough too. It's really good. A little crispy on the outside but soft on the inside. You need to use self-rising flour or add the additional baking ingredients. Here are the instructions.

http://www.theslowroasteditalian.com/2014/02/2-ingredient-pizza-dough-recipe.html

Thanks. This sounds good! Def gonna dry it. All the doughs Ive tried turn out tough and I don't like the ready made. This sounds good and my kids can even make it when I don't want to cook.
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I use the lowest calorie flatbread I can find, I use salsa instead of sauce, I try to go easy on the cheese, then lots of veggies
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Good thing about making your own is you can save on fat and sodium. Some of these recipes lool great. I'm gonna have to try that flat out wrap.....and a huge salad is a good idea too!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I use the lowest calorie flatbread I can find, I use salsa instead of sauce, I try to go easy on the cheese, then lots of veggies

What's wrong with sauce? It's like 40 calories for 2 tbsp...
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    You could also try making/ordering a pizza without cheese. If you've never tried one, you might be surprised how good it can be! Especially a pizza loaded with veggies and yummy sauce. That's a good way to cut some calories off the pizza.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    You could also try making/ordering a pizza without cheese. If you've never tried one, you might be surprised how good it can be! Especially a pizza loaded with veggies and yummy sauce. That's a good way to cut some calories off the pizza.

The first time I had one of these, it was on a thick crust, like the type used for sicillian slices. I was told it was called a "Tomato Pie." I don't know if most pizza places will know what a tomato pie is if you order it that way, though.
  • Thisnameischosen
    Thisnameischosen Posts: 2,771 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies so sorry if this is a repeat.
    I use a tortilla wrap, little bit of tomato paste, lots of veggies and some mature cheddar (use strong cheese because you use less ;))
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat less of it? Why mutate a perfectly good food?
  • BreakOnThru
    BreakOnThru Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If you want a really thin crust and need a shortcut, grab some pizza dough at the grocery. I like sourdough. Roll it out till it's super thin. If you're feeling adventurous, press some chia seeds or flaxseeds into the crust. More fiber, more filling. And I've already seen lots of great advice here about a big veggie side or salad to go with it!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    There's nothing intrinsically wrong or even highly caloric about pizza. Watch them make it: bread dough, cheese, sauce. Add veggies to round it out.
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

What's wrong with sauce? It's like 40 calories for 2 tbsp...
    Oh, nothing wrong with sauce......I just like the zippy flavour or salsa, plus it's chunky.....it seems to alleviate my desire to cover my pizza with cheese/pepperoni/sausage/bacon.....lol
    Plus it looks pretty.
    I'm ALL about good looking food!
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I make my own from scratch every Sunday (or Saturday depending on what happens on the weekend). My normal pizza recipe comes out to ~360 calories for a slice of pepperoni, ~370 for spicy chicken, and ~440 calories for a slice of sausage for 16" pizzas.

If I wanted less calories I would use less cheese, different toppings (cheese only, mushroom, or other veggies), or make a thinner crust. However, those calorie amounts seem perfectly reasonable to me. I can eat 2 slices and be at 800 calories.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Why not if it mutates into a more calorie friendly perfectly good food?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Thin crust .....make your own if possible. That way you know how much fat is in it. Some recipes are high fat.

Turkey pepperoni! Tastes like the really thing, only the fat is much less. The texture is a bit stiff, so I cut pepperoni slices into quarters.

Modest amount of cheese.

http://pizzacrustyeast.com/recipes_landing.html

Have a salad on the side.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options

Why not if it mutates into a more calorie friendly perfectly good food?

Agree.

I make the pita pizzas because they're easy cheap, fast, and I always have all of the ingredients on hand, plus the kid loves to make her own designs - specifically faces.

When I was really little I didn't care about calories, but we still made English Muffin pizzas (which I hate, btw).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    There's nothing intrinsically wrong or even highly caloric about pizza. Watch them make it: bread dough, cheese, sauce. Add veggies to round it out.

How many calories equals highly caloric for you? How many pieces of pizza do you eat? I agree that one piece from a small pizza is not high caloric, but I've only recently managed to step down to three pieces from four from one of these. Here, one 310 calorie serving is two pieces.

498b65a2aecc9d90020d76d4c9f8ff18.png
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Somehow I never even considered making pizza with pita bread. Gotta try that! I'd probably use only one "side" of the pocket for a thin crust. Thanks for the good idea!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    13bbird13 wrote: »
    Somehow I never even considered making pizza with pita bread. Gotta try that! I'd probably use only one "side" of the pocket for a thin crust. Thanks for the good idea!

You can buy some without pockets.