43, diabetic, 50 to lose. Need support plz

Options
Hi, thanks in advance for reading my introduction. I'm a 43yr old mother of 4. I have struggled with being overweight for 23 years! I was diagnosed with diabetes last year and recently had to start taking insulin to control it. Neuropathy, chronic pain and a few other factors contribute to the struggle but I am DETERMINED to overcome and prevail!
My first goal is to stay motivated and lose 30lbs and then move forward from there with 50+ being the final result.
I'd like to find mfp friends with similar goals and struggles to take this journey with. Please feel free to add me.
Thanks again for reading and good luck to you on your journey to reach your goal :)

Replies

• mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I will send a friend request - I am 47 and have been dealing with Type 2 Diabetes for 7 years now. I'm a very active poster and will offer as much support as possible. It can get better. I need to lose weight as well and have been working on that too. MFP is a great tool and there are great groups with lots of support here. There is a Type 2 group that I get a lot of information out of. Welcome and know that you are already making great choices by joining here and being concerned for your health!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Type 2?

I am happy to report that my diabetes is in remission after bariatric surgery and significant weight loss. I was getting very close to needing insulin.

As you know the most important factor is balancing your calories throughout the day to keep the blood sugars normalised, and the second is to keep the total calories low.

@midwesterner85 , who has both T1 and T2, swears by glucotabs if your sugar ever gets dangerously low. They will provide just the needed calories to get you out of your low. So I suggest you carry glucotabs with you.

Anecdotally, I found starting my morning with an egg breakfast helped me keep my blood sugars normalised all day.

Exercise after eating is also a great way to keep the blood sugars even, and allowing you to eat just a little bit more.
  • UGotThisGirl72
    UGotThisGirl72 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    @mrron2u Thank you!

@jgnatca Congratulations! That is fantastic! ! ! Thank you, I'm slowly getting the hang of it all and finding that balance between diet and exercise with my sugar levels. Thankfully I have not had but a couple lows and they were only 72 and 97. With luck I'll find myself no longer needing insulin !
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I know I had fasting blood sugar readings over 200 a few months ago, but through diet and exercise (and taking my meds more regularly) I am now always right around 100. I go later this week for blood work to see if I can wean off any medicines. Look up the Type 2 Diabetes Support Group in the Community section. Lots of support there too!
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Oh! Top tip for organizing your "meals" on MFP. It gloms snacks in to a single category, which isn't very helpful for the diabetic. This setting can be edited in computer mode. I created an AM snack an AFT snack, and an EVE snack.
  • jgnatca
    Options