Where/How to get a DEXA scan?

Options
Can anyone help send me in the right direction as far as where to go to get a DEXA scan? I contacted the local Sanford Clinic (I live in northern Minnesota) and the local nurses told me that its not for body fat.. it's for determining bone density. Am I confused or am i asking for the wrong test?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I believe there are two different types -- one for bone density and one for body fat.
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    The one I had was for bone density, and it was prescribed by my doctor and done at the same place where I get my mammograms.
  • mnfarmgal
    mnfarmgal Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you mylittlerainbow and janejellyroll !
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Some local universities do, others don't. I looked for sports clinics and found my local hospital runs a clinic that will do a comprehensive analysis that includes DEXA. Unfortunately, I have a feeling most of those types of clinics are going to be further south.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Can anyone help send me in the right direction as far as where to go to get a DEXA scan? I contacted the local Sanford Clinic (I live in northern Minnesota) and the local nurses told me that its not for body fat.. it's for determining bone density. Am I confused or am i asking for the wrong test?

It's for both. I got one for bone density, but it also told me body fat.

Google to see what's around you or ask your doctor for a referral. I know what's around me (in Chicago), but that won't help you (unless you want to come here on vacation, of course).
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    my doctor referred me for the dexa scan. doing mine on thursday.
  • mnfarmgal
    mnfarmgal Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Sounds like I need to go past the friendly nurses and to the doctor.. thank you!