"Dem Feelz" huh?

Options
Is this meant to patronize someone for feeling a certain way? What's the purpose of this expression?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    AspenDan wrote: »
    Is this meant to patronize someone for feeling a certain way? What's the purpose of this expression?
    I think it is generally meant to point out that feelings don't change reality or that sometimes reality can be harsh regardless of how you feel about it.

Feel whatever you want. Don't expect what's necessary to conform to your feelings, though.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I think it is generally meant to point out that feelings don't change reality or that sometimes reality can be harsh regardless of how you feel about it.

Feel whatever you want. Don't expect what's necessary to conform to your feelings, though.

I feel like feelings should still be taken into consideration equally to facts..feelings are usually a large reason that anyone ever gains a lot of weight.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I feel like feelings should still be taken into consideration equally to facts..feelings are usually a large reason that anyone ever gains a lot of weight.

I don't. For me, facts are more important than how they make me (or anyone else) feel. But I also don't think that one should be rude for the sake of being rude. So, I would say that the way you present your facts is important. To me, that has more to do with making sure you are understood, more than the "feelings" themselves. Obviously, they play a role, as provoking an emotional response can hinder understanding. But this was learned over many years of being a tactless *kitten* (without meaning to be a *kitten*).

That said, "dem feelz" isn't always used in a derogatory way.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    I use it all the time to mean I feel things. There's nothing derogatory about it.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    The only way I've ever seen it used is to express that the person has felt the same way or feels the same way.

Person 1: I'm so hungry I'm hangry.
    Person 2: Dem Feelz doe (Yes, I've been there)

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I feel like you're being insulting and patronising by taking a phrase that I like to use in any moment of sentimentality and implying that that's wrong. That's how I like, and was brought up to, communicate with minimal reliance on dem feels, which are something private, and maximum reliance on facts and common sense.

Food is a large reason that anyone ever gains a lot of weight

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

I'll validate feelz, science will validate facts, and neither of us is validating parking.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    125goals wrote: »
    What's the "dem " mean?

Them.

OP, your body doesn't know you eat emotionally or otherwise. All it knows is the calories it's getting and the calories it's expending.
  • mrsnazario1219
    mrsnazario1219 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Dem feelz = those feelings

That's it.

The way you use it is what can be construed as insulting.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    125goals wrote: »
    What's the "dem " mean?

"Them"
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    As an old hag, I have never heard this expression.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

That's it.

It seems that to some people on MFP, anything you say can be construed as insulting.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Like most expressions, it can be used mockingly or in commiseration. Feelings can be important to how someone eats, but not to how what they eat affects them. People sometimes also need to learn to let their feelings have less of a hold on them and know that they can be changed, and do not have to control their impulses and actions (from a former 250+lb person who got that way through binge eating and "comfort" eating, which was later understood to actually be a form of self harm. But no mistake - it was the calories, and not the feelings that made me fat).
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Is it a relation of dem bones, dem bones, dem dry bones?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options

Then you should take feelings into consideration equally to facts. Have at it.

• mrsnazario1219
    mrsnazario1219 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

That's it.

It seems that to some people on MFP, anything you say can be construed as insulting.

Ha! So true.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    [yoovieblink.gif]
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    v66buw0xw33n.jpg

Tru DAT