is the calorie burned right?

I'm going to walk outside around my house for 1 hour at as slow pace (reguilar walking) and myfitnesspal says I'll burn 367 calories...that number seems to high lol ..I'm 290 lbs 19 yes old and 5"4

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    I would not trust that number.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited November 2015
    Calorie burns are estimates. Some are better than others..... That's why many people eat back a percentage of exercise calories (50-75%)....not all.

Here's another calculator.....but maybe map your walk so you have an idea of your mileage & speed

http://walking.about.com/cs/howtoloseweight/a/howcalburn.htm

• firststepformefal
    firststepformefal Posts: 180 Member
    I think MFP over estimates the calorie burn of exercise. You can check on other exercise sites to check the calorie burn.
  • ICameToGetDown
    ICameToGetDown Posts: 958 Member
    It might not be that off. I walk 35 min with my dogs and my Fitbit estimate is around 375 and I am 267 5'9 and 41
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    It depends. If it says 367, it might be that high, but it might be less.

Try eating those extra calories for a few weeks. If you don't lose anything, then eat maybe 75% or half of the extra calories.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Most burns are overestimated, therefore the majority here will eat a portion, to accommodate the miscalculations.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    On MFP I walk over 10k steps to get about 388 calories... About 4.5 miles. Even that is probably high. And when I take dance classes it estimates about 550 for 45 minutes. Maybe in Zumba but certainly not in hip hop where we pause to learn routines. Some of the calorie burns I see seem extremely optimistic!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,447 Member
    cheesyP wrote: »
    I'm going to walk outside around my house for 1 hour at as slow pace (reguilar walking) and myfitnesspal says I'll burn 367 calories...that number seems to high lol ..I'm 290 lbs 19 yes old and 5"4

That seems high.

Go with 200 cal/hour walking ... that's probably closer.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    If you want a closer estimate, you could invest in a fitbit. Much more accurate than MFP.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    edited November 2015
    I walked one hour (exactly) at an average speed of 3.4 mph and received 286 calories for my trouble. I'm about 25 years older, 4" taller and weigh about 140 pounds less than you do. I don't know if it helps you any, but there you go.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    5"5 and 50 years here
    60 walking at 3.5 mph and incline 3 or 4 gives me around 330 and 350 when i am lucky.

95069916.png