Coffee question

Options
Hey all. So when I started dieting I cut out sugar from my coffee, but still use half and half. I'm wondering if there are any coffee drinkers out there who drink it black that can recommend a decent tasting black coffee. It's so bitter with no cream but I think it's time I cut out the half and half too.

Oh, and I tried using almond milk but that to me is worse than straight up black coffee.

Thanks!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    personally, if you enjoy 1/2 and 1/2 and it's not interfering with hitting your calorie goals, I wouldn't give it up...it's not necessary.

i drink my coffee with a splash of 1%...occasionally black, but I prefer just a little splash of milk to cut it. my wife buys the coffee so i have no idea what it is, but it's good quality coffee and we grind our beans every morning so they're fresh. right now we're drinking something from Costa Rica I think...
  • Fitwarrior7_Round_2
    Options
    Skim milk?
  • Darklords
    Darklords Posts: 3,175 Member
    Options
    I personally use Maxwell house,when you switch to black it can taste bitter until your taste buds get use to it. within in a week or so you won't notice it at all depending how much coffee you drink. Now when someone makes me a coffee and they have stirred another that has milk or sugar in it I can taste it in mine. That does sound weird but I do no other people who have said the same thing
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I've always had my coffee black - Don Francisco's Colombian is good and not too pricy - They also have some flavored coffees - Eastcoast Jim
  • JJLive
    JJLive Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I buy bags of Dunkin' Donuts coffee and I always drink that, I enjoy the taste. Sometimes black, sometimes half & half, sometimes with creamer. I just measure it and account for the calories.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Have you tried cold brewed coffee? I personally find it less bitter, and can drink it black. I don't prefer to, I like the flavoring of cream.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of Dunkin' Donuts and Starbucks coffee, occasionally McDonalds or Cumberland Farms, black all the time. Some dark roasts at Starbucks are pretty good/flavorful, chocolaty. A lot depends of the capability of the kid at the drive-thru. Cold-brewed doesn't have enough flavor for me personally. You get used to the taste, and I much prefer drinking it hot year-round.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Coffee varies a lot and it can be hard to figure out a way to make it so you always like it.
    My findings so far, are that "light roast" = less bitter, so I try to go for that.

I also like freeze-dried instant coffee, because it's consistent and I only drink one cup at at a time anyways.
    Nescafe Taster's Choice House Blend (both Decaf and not) is the best non-bitter coffee I've found so far.
    Comes in big containers you can dish out with a spoon and add water to, or little single-cup packets that are portable. Always tastes the same.

Don't know why you're averse to flavoring, but there you go.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy either dark roast coffee or espresso made with vanilla soy milk. Soy milk helps make it creamier for less calories while the vanilla adds just enough sweetness to not need to add more sugar. You could also try adding a little bit of skim or even whole milk just to cut the bitterness of it; it's actually ideal to pair coffee with milk to offset the calcium loss that caffeine causes. But you could have the best coffee ever and it could go stale if it sits long enough, so always try to get it made as fresh as possible!
    And if you're frequenting gas station coffees, I'm not sure if you've heard of 7-Eleven but their blueberry coffee is magical.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Yuck, i cannot drink coffee black! Why can't you add something like creamy vanilla cashew or almond milk? That is what I do, and it tastes lovely. It is only 25calories per 1 whole cup of milk and I only add 2ish tablespoons, so its like 5 calories or less.
  • Thowe92
    Thowe92 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I drink Folger's Classic French Roast (medium-dark). Most of the time I'll drink it black. Ocassionaly I'll add some sweetener like splenda, truvia, Sweet N' Low or a packet of Swiss Miss No Sugar Added Hot Cocoa.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    I switched to black coffee when I was about 16. Black coffee tastes good ... coffee with stuff in it, doesn't.

My current favourites are:

Café Palazzo - flavour infused
    http://cafepalazzo.com.au/

Gloria Jean - flavour infused
    https://shop.gloriajeanscoffees.com.au/coffee/infusion

But I'll drink just about any black coffee ...... except maybe the weak and diluted swill served up in US service stations and inexpensive hotels.
  • talismanicmagic
    talismanicmagic Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    lyttlewon wrote: »
    Have you tried cold brewed coffee? I personally find it less bitter, and can drink it black. I don't prefer to, I like the flavoring of cream.

I'll second cold brew! I can't drink black coffee and I'm a barista! Lol
    Cold brew, I can do, and love!
    That being said, if your drinking good quality beans, it's a lot tastier ☺️
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    LaVazza! THE best! It's strong without tasting burnt ...
  • James00020
    James00020 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey all. So when I started dieting I cut out sugar from my coffee, but still use half and half. I'm wondering if there are any coffee drinkers out there who drink it black that can recommend a decent tasting black coffee. It's so bitter with no cream but I think it's time I cut out the half and half too.

Oh, and I tried using almond milk but that to me is worse than straight up black coffee.

Thanks!

I now drink black coffee but use to drink it with milk and two teaspoons of sugar. I personally found it bitter to begin with (for the first month or so) but sheer desperation to lose weight motivated me to keep drinking black coffee and became accustomed to the taste and now love it, if anything I cannot stand having milk or sugar with it anymore. I suggest Nescafe Gold Blend, I enjoy that the most.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you are drinking so much coffee that the minor calories from the half&half are adding up that bad - there may be another issue to look at before the creamer.

Or if half the cup is creamer, there is a range between that and none.

Light creamer isn't bad either to take the bite off, 10 cal per tspn surely can fit in daily budget if a reasonable deficit and not bed-bound activity level.
  • twohourshower37
    twohourshower37 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    If you are drinking so much coffee that the minor calories from the half&half are adding up that bad - there may be another issue to look at before the creamer.

Or if half the cup is creamer, there is a range between that and none.

Light creamer isn't bad either to take the bite off, 10 cal per tspn surely can fit in daily budget if a reasonable deficit and not bed-bound activity level.

Lol good point I should have clarified. I typically drink 2 coffees a day, and usually use about 3 servings which is 120 calories. So it's not anything insanely crazy. I was just thinking it's calories and fat that probably wouldn't bad to lose
  • ldymejia
    ldymejia Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    GANO is a weight loss/maintain weight coffee and all you need is hot water. It's a ready to drink. Not black coffee. I was introduced last week and waiting to try it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you have enough calories to use that you are getting nutritional levels in for healthy body - then using other available calories for things you enjoy are just fine.

Now, if 120 calories is choice between coffee creamer or a desert after dinner - hmmmm - I'd drop some fruit and do both!