Having the flu and unable to eat

Options
Has anyone had the flu and not been able to eat at all?? My partner is going on one week today and has only eaten 2 bowls of soup. He's lost around 10kg and I'm gettin a lil worried

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Call the doctor. 10kg in a week is a lot to lose.

Most people cannot eat when they have a flu, but most flus don't last seven days. Some do, most don't. Call the doctor.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that. Make sure he's getting enough fluid. Make him drink warm tea or even just water. . . but dehydration is actually more dangerous than lack of calories when you're truly sick. And I wouldn't worry about weight loss. When he feels better, he'll likely gain most of it back--especially if it's mostly water loss
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Consider taking him to the ER.
  • YouBlowMyMind
    YouBlowMyMind Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    He's a male and very hard to convince to see the Dr. I've got a drs app today that I'm gonna drag him to so he can see her instead of me. He rarely ever gets sick so its a bit worrying.
  • RodaRose
    Options
    Good luck with him at the dr's office.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If he won't go to the doctor and you're not his guardian, you just have to do your best with what you have.

Try to make sure he stays hydrated and see if you can introduce more calorie dense foods like ice cream or chocolate milk.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Is he drinking?

• YouBlowMyMind
    Options
    Yea I'm making sure he's drinking heaps of water. Hes not too concerned but we will see what the drs thinks this afternoon
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Just call it in if your insurance offers a nurse line. Not quite so alarming if he's drinking plenty & holding it down...
  • YouBlowMyMind
    Options
    Yea I'm just worried I will end up getting the flu that bad. So far I have only just begun getting sore sinuses and now today my legs are aching
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    do press him to see a doctor if its not getting better after a week. in the meantime, less water, lots of juice instead, and tea with lots of honey, or cocoa, more soup. if he doesn't eat at all, its going to affect his recovery time. tell him so. maybe he will listen to reason :/
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Try to get him to drink something other than water. My mom was a nurse, and used to tell me that water will flush out what little electrolytes you have left. Especially if he's vomitting or sweating a lot. Some people end up even more dehydrated because of it. If possible, grab him a sports drink like Gatorade and have him sip it. That way, he's able get some calories while saving some electrolytes.
  • YouBlowMyMind
    Options
    Thanx for ur advice will go get him so juice and powerade while I'm at the supermarket
  • RodaRose
    Options
    ^^^^^^ Yes. He needs the electrolytes.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Consider also gastrolyte which will replenish the electrolytes without adding a lot of sugar. In powder form it lasts a lot longer than the liquid. I carry it with me when I travel, in case Montezuma's Revenge.
  • YouBlowMyMind
    Options
    Oh yea I've seen gastrolyte at the chemist
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    Try to get him to drink something other than water. My mom was a nurse, and used to tell me that water will flush out what little electrolytes you have left. Especially if he's vomitting or sweating a lot. Some people end up even more dehydrated because of it. If possible, grab him a sports drink like Gatorade and have him sip it. That way, he's able get some calories while saving some electrolytes.

Broth might be helpful too--either chicken or veggie.

Going that long on that little is worrisome.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I would call the doctor. One week is too long to be the ILL.
  • YouBlowMyMind
    Options
    Off to the Dr this afternoon and he's gonna force some food into himself for lunch