How to weigh bananas?

Do you weigh them with the skin on or off? TIA!!!

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Don't weigh the parts you don't eat.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    I just peel it and lay it on the scale.
  • oneallmama
    oneallmama Posts: 108 Member
    Alright! Thanks :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    the vast majority of entries are going to be for the actual fruit itself...there are separate entries for the peel. in some places, the peal is eaten but usually cooked and eaten separately. you only count what you are eating.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    If you eat the peel then weigh it, if you don't then don't include it. Think of it this way - you wouldn't count the calories for your yogurt container would you? Then don't count the calories for your fruit "container".
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I just peel it and lay it on the scale.

This.
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    edited November 2015
    Just to keep the scale cleaner, I would weigh it with the peel on, then peel the banana, weigh the skin again and then subtract. This is how I weigh avocados; much less messy.
  • Annie_01
    mxchana wrote: »
    Just to keep the scale cleaner, I would weigh it with the peel on, then peel the banana, weigh the skin again and then subtract. This is how I weigh avocados; much less messy.

I either put a plate on the scale or a paper towel.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    But what do you do if you take a banana out with you to eat at work or somewhere, you wouldn't want to carry the skin around with you the whole day to weigh when you get home?
  • Annie_01
    Then you estimate by size.
  • I just weigh the whole banana in skin. Guess I have been doing it wrong :D
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    But what do you do if you take a banana out with you to eat at work or somewhere, you wouldn't want to carry the skin around with you the whole day to weigh when you get home?
    Then peel it and weigh it at home and take it to work in a baggie.

• kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    edited November 2015

I usually try to peel and weigh at least one in the bunch, as bananas in bunches tend to be close to the same size. Then if I grab one to take to work or elsewhere, I will use the weight of the first one, or increase the weight a bit to be on the safe side.
  • ChristineCain
    ChristineCain Posts: 76 Member
    Much like everyone else says, I peel mine in the morning and weigh then pop in a baggie. Invest in a food scale. Not only will it give you the most accurate reading on what you are about to eat but you will realize how far (or close) off your guestimates are. I found mine at Target.
  • oneallmama
    oneallmama Posts: 108 Member
    Much like everyone else says, I peel mine in the morning and weigh then pop in a baggie. Invest in a food scale. Not only will it give you the most accurate reading on what you are about to eat but you will realize how far (or close) off your guestimates are. I found mine at Target.

I bought a food scale at Walmart thats digital, I really like it... I just had no idea if the weight's that people were inputting on My Fitness Pal were with the skins on or off.. Im already amazed at how small my portions have to be to be accurate with counting calories, and have already lost 1lb of weight.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    I weigh with the peel. i'll live with the loss of calories
  • JJLive
    JJLive Posts: 88 Member
    Fruits are the only thing I don't weigh or measure (I even log the calories from breath mints and multivitamins). I just judge it as small, medium or large and put it into MFP.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,728 Member
    I need every extra calorie I can get so I peel and then weigh.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    oneallmama wrote: »

I bought a food scale at Walmart thats digital, I really like it... I just had no idea if the weight's that people were inputting on My Fitness Pal were with the skins on or off.. Im already amazed at how small my portions have to be to be accurate with counting calories, and have already lost 1lb of weight.

For fruits, the weights are for what you're actually eating -- it's not counting the parts that we don't eat like peels or pits.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Everyone has answered, but I wanted to add how excited I was to eat an apple the other day, first one with my scale. I logged an average apple, then weighed mine. Holy crap! It was 250g! So I logged the weight and got to munching... stopped when i was full and realized I could weigh the core then subtract that amount. Brought it down to 180g total and I got to eat a little more :) sweeeeet!