Food an addiction?

Options
LowCoffinLucifie
LowCoffinLucifie Posts: 100 Member
edited November 2015 in Motivation and Support
So I've went over 20 days now without making horrible food choices. I constantly want to get pizza or tacos or nachos or ice cream and just chow down.

I don't mean in moderation either. It takes so much energy to portion my food and only eat what I need. I eat the proper potions now and I realize I'm full and that it is enough, but my brain and tongue want more of the taste...

This craving makes me think and wonder just how strong of an addiction food can become.

Its getting tougher with time, but easier as well. I see that I can do it, but I also see how difficult of a decision it can be.

Anyone else feel my pain here?

Replies

• kelseymallen
    kelseymallen Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I totally feel your pain. I want to eat what I want, when I want, and as much as I want. Now that I'm trying to make healthier choices, I have to constantly make the effort not to eat. It's hard.
  • LowCoffinLucifie
    Options
    I totally feel your pain. I want to eat what I want, when I want, and as much as I want. Now that I'm trying to make healthier choices, I have to constantly make the effort not to eat. It's hard.

Exactly my thoughts, and i dont always have the time tobworkoff calories so i really have to watch it.
  • takingcareofus
    takingcareofus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the measuring and weighing food! I'm not there yet.
    Food has been my unwinding tool but my source of excess weight. I totally hear you.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    There have been times when I couldn't tolerate being hungry. I'd rush to get food in my mouth as though it were a life and death situation. I couldn't look at pictures of decadent food (as are sometimes posted here) without feeling uncomfortable. I'd not only cave to cravings, I actually looked for them--opening the fridge and asking myself what I'm in the mood for rather than considering what I should be eating to balance out my day. Thankfully, I'm much much better now. For me, the solution was, at least in part, getting more protein and keeping my deficit modest. Be good to yourself.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I find that having something strong tasting helps - brush your teeth, suck a mint, an aniseed ball, a walnut. Put a few drops of lemon juice on your tongue. Have a cup of expresso.

• moxie1962
    moxie1962 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Arrghhh....food! I love it! And I hate that I love it!! And I crave it.
    Losing weight is such a mind trip. You want something. You can taste it. You cannot stop thinking about it. You end up either going out and getting some...and over eating it. Or..somehow figure out how NOT to.
    The single serving of- lasagna. soooo tiny! :'(
    I finally figured out how to fool my hunger and cravings sometimes.
    I'll take some things...like lasagna....and put that one tiny single serving on top of a double serving of steamed broccoli. Or....slice a chicken breast and use it on top of a big enough pile of leafy green lettuce. Or, a sliced baked pork chop on top of a steamed baked potato.
    I end up feeling full and like I have ate more of the high calorie stuff.
    Without...eating seconds or more.
    I do the best with the weight loss if I can do this a few times a week. I try to eat enough good fats and lean protein to reach that satisfied point.
  • LowCoffinLucifie
    Options
    Congratulations on the measuring and weighing food! I'm not there yet.
    Food has been my unwinding tool but my source of excess weight. I totally hear you.

Thank you ;), and yup foods always been my comfort place too but im getting there :).
  • LowCoffinLucifie
    Options
    There have been times when I couldn't tolerate being hungry. I'd rush to get food in my mouth as though it were a life and death situation. I couldn't look at pictures of decadent food (as are sometimes posted here) without feeling uncomfortable. I'd not only cave to cravings, I actually looked for them--opening the fridge and asking myself what I'm in the mood for rather than considering what I should be eating to balance out my day. Thankfully, I'm much much better now. For me, the solution was, at least in part, getting more protein and keeping my deficit modest. Be good to yourself.

I know exactly what you mean. I follow food blogs and cooking blogs that look sooooooo delicious but Sometimes wonder if it would be easier to delete them.
  • LowCoffinLucifie
    Options
    I find that having something strong tasting helps - brush your teeth, suck a mint, an aniseed ball, a walnut. Put a few drops of lemon juice on your tongue. Have a cup of expresso.

I think i really need to start trying this. Ive been drinking more water to try and curve cravings.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Try an exercise where you eat a favourite food verrrry slowly, paying attention to the scent, texture, everything. You can extend the memory and the pleasure that way.

I found by habit I knew how much portion I was habitually eating, and if I didn't get it, I felt like I was cheated. For some things I've cut the portion by half. Over time, I've gotten used to the new portion size.

I am ending my evenings with a Perrier water these days. I am treating myself without calories.

I'll use any trick in the book.
  • LowCoffinLucifie
    Options
    moxie1962 wrote: »
    Arrghhh....food! I love it! And I hate that I love it!! And I crave it.
    Losing weight is such a mind trip. You want something. You can taste it. You cannot stop thinking about it. You end up either going out and getting some...and over eating it. Or..somehow figure out how NOT to.
    The single serving of- lasagna. soooo tiny! :'(
    I finally figured out how to fool my hunger and cravings sometimes.
    I'll take some things...like lasagna....and put that one tiny single serving on top of a double serving of steamed broccoli. Or....slice a chicken breast and use it on top of a big enough pile of leafy green lettuce. Or, a sliced baked pork chop on top of a steamed baked potato.
    I end up feeling full and like I have ate more of the high calorie stuff.
    Without...eating seconds or more.
    I do the best with the weight loss if I can do this a few times a week. I try to eat enough good fats and lean protein to reach that satisfied point.

Ive been practicing this a bit myself and i do find it helps a lot. I cooked up some greenbeans to put under some chicken breast and drank 2 glasses of water prior and it filled me up fast and i didnt find myself needing seconds. ;)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    We humans are by nature pleasure seekers. The more pleasurable the food, the more we want it. It's just something we have to learn to control. It's good to live in a time when pizza and other pleasurable foods are always available. Thinking about the fact that I can get pizza any time I want helps me not eat all the pizza today.