Feeding a picky family an myself

Options
My husband is a very picky eater..... aka very few fruits and veggies. I love fresh veggies for dinner but hate cooking two meals. Anyone have easy re up ideas for sneaky ways to add veggies for picky eaters?

Replies

• kcw1284
    kcw1284 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Recipe.. sorry this is not so bile friendly.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Lasagna, Spaghetti, Shepards pie. You could also do a stirfry and just add extra veggies for yours. I find teh meat turns out better cooked first by itself anyway. I also do individual salads as each person like different stuff (Family of 5) Its teh same amount of chopping just a few extra dishes.
  • siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Just cook some vegetables for yourself. He's supposedly a big boy, he can just not put them on his plate.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Have you tried roasting veggies? Roasted Brussels sprouts with cajun seasoning are AMAZING. Also really low calorie, but that is less important than tasting great.

As mentioned, stirfry is good. As are soups and stews.

As far as sneaking foods in, as a (very) picky eater myself, that would piss me off. Be straight forward. If he doesn't like it, his loss!

Note: I don't see not eating food, or having my food refused, as rude. People have preferences, and while I may not be willing to accomodate them, I'm not going to be offended by them either, so ymmv. :)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Soups & casseroles. They don't have to be fresh to be nutritious , often cooking helps

Eggplant, peppers, mushrooms, spinach, etc are great in casseroles

Risottos
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason why you have to do the cooking? Explain to him that you're going to be making healthy meals so that you can reach your goals, and if he doesn't like them he can cook something separate for himself. Or, split the cooking so if you have to cook two meals one night, he can make separate dinners for both of you the next.

If there really is no way around you doing all the cooking, there are a few things I picked up from when I used to cook for 2-5 year-olds at a preschool, such as grating/pureeing vegies and adding them to pasta sauce. It really depends on his preferences though. You could just prepare meals with a side of veg that he can choose not to eat?
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Make whatever you're gonna make that's healthy, including the veggies, and for dinner at least: make a bunch of delicious sauces. Bearnaise, Hollandaise, Brown Gravy, Turkey Gravy etc and so forth. Then see if you can convince him to just eat his broccoli like a big boy by drenching it in gravy. It worked really well on "of course a bowl of meat is an acceptable meal" guy (my husband circa '07).

He doesn't dislike healthy food. No one really does. He dislikes certain flavors and textures like anyone else on the planet. See what you can do by way of finding out what textures he can endure, and make the flavors your priority and I bet he'll come around;) And if all else fails and he just can't survive 30 seconds of broccoli, you can always make a good lean main meat, a starchy side, and several side veggies for yourself or a side salad.