Options
2»

Replies

• Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @christinev297
    I thought in terms of Net Carbs (gCarbs - gFiber)
    49g net carbs
    It's hard to get in enough fiber with veggies only IMO, so I also used flax and chia seeds to achieve 45g fiber daily.
    I aimed for 454g veggies daily, lots of leafy greens in that.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @christinev297
    I thought in terms of Net Carbs (gCarbs - gFiber)
    49g net carbs
    It's hard to get in enough fiber with veggies only IMO, so I also used flax and chia seeds to achieve 45g fiber daily.
    I aimed for 454g veggies daily, lots of leafy greens in that.

Thanks. Yes i use chia and flaxseeds everyday
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    The water weight loss happens only in the first few days or so.
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I was wondering if you guys could provide me with some info on low carb diets. From what I've read it's a quick fix for weight loss but the majority of the weight lost is water weight? Maybe some of you have some better insight on the subject, I'd love to pass on the info.

Low carb high fat diets tend to result in slightly faster weight losses at 6 months which evens out (almost) with other diets at a year. The exception seems to be those with some sort of insulin resistance, those people lose at the fastest rate on a LCHF diet or ketogenic diet. They lose more slowly using moderation, and healthy overweight people find the typ of diet makes no real difference.

The majority of weight lost is NOT water weight. Sure, we lose some water weight in the beginning. Any diet that restricts carbs (like soda or cutting back on bagels) will have water losses early on. It's usually only a couple of pounds. Because there is water loss electrolytes may get low. Those restricting carbs will need to increase sodium to about 3000-5000mg per day, and possibly add extra potassium and magnesium if they let salt get low (those nutrents will get leeched from their body to increased electrolytes - best to prevent that).

I am a 5'8" sedentary woman who lost somewhere around 30-35 lbs from 185-190 to 155lbs in three monthseating 1500 calories per day. That was a loss of 2-3 lbs per week, which I found amazing because I was NOT eating at a 1000-1500 caloric deficit every day. I have stopped losing now (beyond 1 lb/month) because I am eating over 2000 calories per day this past month. I have insulin resistance and would probably gain weight on 2000 calories of a SAD diet.

Those who successfully lose over the long term on a LCHF diet tend to avoid foods high in carbs. I avoid foods with added sugar (beyond a carb or 3 added to a sausage), and all foods made from grains which includes anythng made with flours (breaded meats, muffins, cookies and cakes, all breads and flat breads, chips, pizza crust, noodles, etc). I also limit my starchy carbs which are root veggies grown under ground like potatoes, yams, beets, parsnips, carrots and onions; that doesn't mean I never eat them, but I eat much smaller amounts than I used to (a TBS of potatoes or a 1/2 cup of carrots rather than 1/3 of my plate covered with mashed potatoes with a mound of carrots beside it). Most low carbers also limit fruit. Berries are the lowest in sugar and many eat a half a cup a few days of the week. Other fruits are eaten with moderation such as a third of a banana or half of a small apple.

A carb is a carb, and all carbs convert to glucose. We try to keep carbs low. I usually keep mine under 30g.

If carbs are kept under 50g, one will enter ketosis and the body will oxidize fats for fuel rather than rely on glucose for fuel. One will often feel tired and weak for a few days while glycogen stores are depleted but once you get past that (as long as you keep up sodium levels) many find they feel better than ever, their appetite is deminished, and carb cravings are gone.

Between 50 and 100g of carbs is often a bit of a problem area for some. It is low enough that one may be repeatedly depleting and refilling glycogen stores and carb cravings may stay fairly strong. This ends not to be the case as much is one is not sedentary.

100-150g carbs is good level fr many low carbers who are not going for ketosis.

Atkins is a ood low carb book. Dukkan is used by some, and paleo and clean eating is sometimes done low carb too. Peter Attia's (md) blog is a great source for some of the science behind low carb. Any info by Phinney or Volek is a great information source. The video Fathead is a good video for someone who wants their information presented in an entertaining manner. The Perfect Human Diet is another good video.

Thanks for all the info, I'll pass this on to him.

I actually tried eating low carb today and yesterday and my calorie count had been the same but I feel like I'm eating more. Maybe that's just me. It's also really hard to pack a lunch I found, I spent 50$ on groceries that between myself and my girlfriend we almost went through in a day. Kind of expensive if you ask me. I mean I didn't do the shopping so maybe she bought stuff that was way more expensive than it needed to be but yeah. I couldn't think of very many ideas of foods to pack for a lunch (maybe someone had suggestions here?) I don't think I'd be able to stick to eating like this it's way too restricting for me. I like eating my fruits :P

It can $$ be if you are eating a lot of bacon, nuts and cheese. Most ketogenic dieters eat what everyone else is having just without the starches and sugars. Breakfast is eggs and coffee with coconut oil or cream in it. Lunch could be a can of tuna with mayo, half an avocado and celery. A family dinner of meatloaf, green beans and mashed potatoes would just exclude the mashed potatoes. Yesterday's dinner was noodles with a tomato sauce with peppers and shrimp; I skipped the noodles and added a bunch of grated cheese to my sauce. Yummy.

I suppose it could cost more because the cheap starchy fillers are excluded but it doesn't have to. To turn a dinner of a steak, salad and a baked potato into a ketogenic meal, I would not add extra steak but just butter my steak and use liberal amounts of full fat salad dressing on my salad, and skip the potato. The pat of butter doesn't cost more than a potato.
  • Pollywog_la
    Pollywog_la Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Another resource to pass to your friends are several reddit groups about keto.
    This has links to the other ones (more specialized, like geared towards women, vegetarians or athletes)
    https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/
    Page has so many users, a lot of information is shared.

I have been low carb for 3 years now. Have lost 94 lbs. I stalled for over a year (but did not gain back weight) but am losing again after tracking everything now.
    For me, this is my way of eating, not a temp diet. It keeps my blood sugar excellent, which is my primary concern.

Your friends should definitely try it out and see if it works for them, but it is not a temp diet. If they hate it after a month, it may not be the way to go for them. But whatever diet they go for, it should be something they can stick to for the long haul...not a quick fix.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
  • joshuakcaron
    joshuakcaron Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    So I've done the low carb thing for over a week now, I feel much fuller on the same amount of calories. It's a lot harder to eat with restrictions though, I guess it depends if you're a disciplined individual or not. I can definitely do low carb if I wanted (and I'm thinking I might.)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Low carb works for weight loss; but let your friend know that weight loss is just the first step.

I don't do low carb for this very reason. Low carb won't be a lifestyle change for me. So I measure and log the food that I like. So when I get to maintenance I will know "the price" of foods I eat.

Ditto. Why delay learning good eating habits?

Unless you're planning to eat low carb for life I see no reason to do low carb unless you have Type 2 diabetes.

I'd rather learn to eat the food I love within my calorie limit - a habit that will last for life. In fact, that's how I've lost 23 kg since April.
  • joshuakcaron
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Low carb works for weight loss; but let your friend know that weight loss is just the first step.

I don't do low carb for this very reason. Low carb won't be a lifestyle change for me. So I measure and log the food that I like. So when I get to maintenance I will know "the price" of foods I eat.

Unless you're planning to eat low carb for life I see no reason to do low carb unless you have Type 2 diabetes.

I'd rather learn to eat the food I love within my calorie limit - a habit that will last for life. In fact, that's how I've lost 23 kg since April.

Being full on the same is actually super awesome, I plan and know I'd gain weight if I start eating carbs again. I don't mind.
  • Orphia
    Options

Being full on the same is actually super awesome, I plan and know I'd gain weight if I start eating carbs again. I don't mind.

No idea what you're trying to say there, sorry! :)
  • joshuakcaron
    Options

I follow CICO - I eat what I want when I want, but I find eating low carbs makes me fuller so I can eat the same calories without having to feel hungry. At least that's how it's felt so far:
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

I follow CICO - I eat what I want when I want, but I find eating low carbs makes me fuller so I can eat the same calories without having to feel hungry. At least that's how it's felt so far:
    Remember chicken thighs, almonds, macadamia nuts, pork rinds, sun flower seeds, canned salmon and sardines. Also leafy greens, cucumbers, snow peas.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Why doesn't your friend ask your successful 100+ for 8 years friends instead of an omnivore like you?

I've never met a successful long term low carber ...I must be moving in the wrong circles
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    It's the healthiest diet by far!
  • joshuakcaron
    Options
    I'm
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Why doesn't your friend ask your successful 100+ for 8 years friends instead of an omnivore like you?

I've never met a successful long term low carber ...I must be moving in the wrong circles

My friends ex girlfriend was a low carber now professional body builder. She was interviewed by the people who created the diet and she also now has a published book.
  • Orphia
    Options
    I'm
    rabbitjb wrote: »

My friends ex girlfriend was a low carber now professional body builder. She was interviewed by the people who created the diet and she also now has a published book.

"Was a low carber"? @rabbitjb knows the score.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options

Some people -- like me -- feel much, much better eating low-carb. My IBS is basically gone, no acid reflux, lots of energy, very little hunger, enjoy the food. I do not have Type 2 diabetes. May have issues with gluten (not tested, definitely not celiac).

Will I go the rest of my life without a baguette? Nah. But no way, no how will it ever be part of my day-to-day eating again.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    For a lot of people LC is really just a way to get in the calorie deficit required for weight loss.

Carbs do typically have a lot of calories ie breads, pastas, starches...

I've done low carb but couldn't stick with it as I always felt "empty" so I went the route of eat what I want just in smaller portions.

LCHF here, I feel the same you do, "empty", when I eat high carb. Maybe it's because I can't control myself around bread and other delicious carby goodness. Oatmeal never makes me feel full. I'm glad at least both of us are listening to our bodies. :)