treadmill worth it or no?

Options
I would like to hear from people who have mostly used a treadmill to assist your weight loss journey? How much did you lose etc etc... I pondering over buying one and need a little advise
How long do you use it and how many times a week? Any thoughts welcome. Thanks

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Why dreadmill rather than just running or walking outside?

The main issue with a dreadmill is the boredom factor. Will you keep using it after spending the money?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill and love it but for very specific reasons: it was bought when my kids were babies, because I could use it for a 30 minute run while the kids were napping. I used to run regularly pre-kids, so I needed a way to run even when there was no way to get out of the house. I would not have invested into a treadmill if I did not already love running or if I had the option to run outside.
  • williamburboss
    williamburboss Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replies, I feel too fat to run outside. I love running. Its a confidence issue I guess.
  • James00020
    James00020 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I find the treadmills that most people buy, the relatively cheap ones are terrible. You would be much better off either signing up for the gym or running outside.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replies, I feel too fat to run outside. I love running. Its a confidence issue I guess.

You are not too fat to run outside. Whose opinion do you actually care about outside. Random people who you don't know and don't know you?
    No other runner is going to think you are "too fat". Ever runner I have ever met has always had a smile and a hello for me.
    So get your gear on and go for a run. Do it for you and enjoy yourself.
  • VillageSmithy
    VillageSmithy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think people generally view overweight runners with a little extra measure of admiration. I certainly do.
  • Cath2907
    Cath2907 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have great respect for anyone who embarks on a fitness / weight-loss / health journey. Am undergoing my own and whilst I no-longer look fat it is still daily work to maintain.
    I see overweight runners, cyclists, swimmers and gymers. I always look on them with admiration and respect. They are working to change their future and that is not easy.

Run outside - give me someone else to silently cheer on as they pass me!
  • williamburboss
    williamburboss Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I never looked at it like that, that's the motivation I needed. Thanks guys I guess I will be saving a few $ and gaining that confidence I once had. I will start tomorrow morning and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the kind words of encouragement.
  • lesliewynn14
    lesliewynn14 Posts: 130 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    If you are considering a treadmill for walking (not running) try going to a mall instead. I've started going to the mall every morning to walk. I get there 2 hours before the stores open and walk at a very brisk pace for an hour. I'm definitely getting a workout! There are people there in the morning at all different fitness levels. I like it because it's not boring. For me, nothing can beat a brisk walk in the country or on a hiking trail but I prefer the mall walking because of safety when I'm alone. I've had a home treadmill and didn't like it at all. It was no where near the quality of the treadmills at the gym even though I paid a lot for it. It took up a lot or room and everyone kept putting their stuff on it so it was not only obnoxiously in the way but also an eyesore. It was very, very boring and I ended up never using it.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I feel too fat to run outside.

You're not.

Get out there.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    FatMoojor wrote: »

You are not too fat to run outside. Whose opinion do you actually care about outside. Random people who you don't know and don't know you?
    No other runner is going to think you are "too fat". Ever runner I have ever met has always had a smile and a hello for me.
    So get your gear on and go for a run. Do it for you and enjoy yourself.

This
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I walk outside but not sure I would feel confident to run. The winter is also coming and I do live in a climate where that is sometimes a deterrent. The mall sounds like a great idea but I work early, so no time to do it before work. I am considering a treadmill and an elliptical for my basement. Making a little workout room my whole family could use.
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Worth it or not only depends on if you'll use it. I still use mine occasionally after 4 years - especially since I live in bitter cold and snow for 5 months of the year.

As for "too fat to run outside" - that's a load of crap. If you want to run outside - run outside. I see people of all shapes and sizes on my runs and all we have is a load of respect for each other. A polite nod and wave and we're all on our ways anyways.

If someone is going to judge you, they have other major issues...

Get out there and run if you want. I promise after doing it a few times, the internal self doubt will begin to fade.
  • kim130562
    kim130562 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I brought a treadmill i love mune cuz i can still watch tv and ii dont get home till late in the evening and wiuldnt go out on the streets were i live on my own i also found i could watch all 5he soaps and a film without realizing how long i have been on it yes they are bulky but who cares im still moving lol
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I hate the treadmill. If I'm going to rely on a machine for cardio, I'll resort to the stationary bike
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    You couldn't pay me good money to run on a treadmill. So boring! Run outside. So much better and it's free. I do have s rowing machine that I love and it takes up much less space. Great workout too.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    You'll get differing opinions on this because some people simply love being outside for their exercise. I had a treadmill and loved it. I miss having it now to be honest! It's great for people who are unable to do the gym thing, those who are stuck in the house a lot, bad weather issues, ect. I never got bored because I could watch tv or flip through a magazine. It did help me lose weight, but....anything that gets you moving is beneficial. I would generally use it for walking 30 mins 5 days a week.
    Then as I got more fit I would jog.

The only advice I would give is to buy a decent one. If you're not sure how much you'll end up using it then buy one second hand. Cheap ones may not be as stable and you want to be safe.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I love my treadmill. I honestly don't think I would be doing as good as I am if I didn't have it.

I don't do the outdoorsy thing because where I live, it's usually really hot and humid, which makes it miserable being outside. If I go in the mornings or afternoons, the mosquitoes eat me alive. Plus, because I work at home, sometimes 8-12 hours sitting per day, I can easily get up and do 1/2 mile every so often. I wouldn't ever do that if I was limited to going out.

I do go for walks at night with my dog, but not super long ones. I just don't care for running around my neighborhood. Another plus is that my treadmill inclines to 12% and my neighborhood's sidewalks don't. :)

Oh, and Netflix. I lost 40 pounds while watching the entire 10 seasons of Supernatural. LOL I made a rule for myself that I could not watch it unless I was walking. I'm catching up on The Walking Dead right now.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    me, i would avoid the treadmill at all costs. I feel like a hamster
    you are also not too fat to run outside. no one is. if you can run, you can run outside. even if it's for a min here and there
    but if you are going to use the treadmill, by all means, get one. you can see if there is a second hand sports store near you so that you can get a higher quality one for lower quality prices
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I bought my wife a treadmill for $50, spent $8 on treadmill lubricant and it is as good as new. It has no fancy features, and only hits 8mph or so, but that is faster than we can run for any significant length of time. If you want one, they can be had for cheap/free as people can't get rid of them.

However, a) they aren't needed for weight loss (neither is running in general), b) there is no such thing as too fat to run/walk outside. So, do whatever you want.

I run on it maybe once per week (after the Ultimate season ended), mostly when the kids are home and I can't get out of the house and I overate and I need to burn the calories back off to stick to my plan. I use it so infrequently, and I run so slow, that it has maybe contributed 1-2lb of weight loss out of my 38lb total so far (even all of my exercise combined would only account for 8-10lb of my weight loss). I also do it because I would like to increase endurance so I can both do an obstacle course run next year along with being more competitive in Ultimate.