More iron

Options
Iv noticed since tracking that my iron intake is very low (I take supplements but i know food is the best source) I thought i was doing good eating spinach, green veg etc I don't want to eat to much red meat as it's high in calories but i do eat it once or twice a week. Any tips for getting more iron in me??
Thanks

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that some MFP food entries are incomplete.

Many breakfast cereals are fortified with iron. Grapenuts has a huge amount....I like to sprinkle it on Greek yogurt.

I take a multi (Centrum for women) it has a decent amount. Read labels, not all multivitamins contain iron anymore.

Lean cuts of red meat aren't terribly high in calories (for protein).

Vitamin C helps with iron absorption.
  • Thisnameischosen
    Thisnameischosen Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    I take iron with vitamin c and calcium wuth vitamin D. They are the things I feel I need but don't get enough of via diet. (I only really need the iron and calcium but taking these two vitamins together helps them to be absorbed, or so I'm told :/ )
    I just didn't really think I needed multi but your right, would make more sense and fill in ALL the gaps.
    I didn't know that about iron overload so thanks for telling me
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I take iron with vitamin c and calcium wuth vitamin D. They are the things I feel I need but don't get enough of via diet. (I only really need the iron and calcium but taking these two vitamins together helps them to be absorbed, or so I'm told :/ )
    I just didn't really think I needed multi but your right, would make more sense and fill in ALL the gaps.

Vitamin C & iron yes - calcium & iron no. Actually too much calcium can hinder absorption.

When I was prescribed iron (by a MD)....the lowest iron "pill" was somewhere in the neighborhood of 360% RDA. Too much iron can be toxic (very hard on the liver). That's why multivitamins with iron have child proof caps. Please don't take one of these large dosages without a doctor's approval.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/ss/slideshow-top-foods-high-in-iron
  • Thisnameischosen
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

Vitamin C & iron yes - calcium & iron no. Actually calcium can hinder absorption.

When I was prescribed iron (by a MD)....the lowest iron "pill" was somewhere in the neighborhood of 360% RDA. Too much iron can be toxic. That's why multivitamins with iron have child proof caps. Please don't take one of these large dosages without a doctor's approval.

Oh really?? Oops. Multi vitamin it is then!
    What are good iron rich foods??
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    If it is any reassurance, it is usually hard for a woman to overdose on iron, as we have a natural shedding process every month.

You are correct that iron absorbs better taken with vitamin C, and calcium with vitamin D. My iron blood tests are at the very bottom of normal so I take an iron supplement as prescribed by my doctor. I take it alone without food which seems to help with absorption. I don't need a prescription here but the pharmacist keeps it behind the counter so they can counsel anyone who requests it.

top_10_high_iron_foods.jpg

non-conventional-meat-11-638.jpg?cb=1401754369

http://www.mckinley.illinois.edu/handouts/dietary_sources_iron.html

• Thisnameischosen
    Options
    Great thanks! See I always think I'm being good by avoiding cereals for breakfast because of the sugar but maybe I should start incorporating it into my diet more. Like a bran or something
  • Thisnameischosen
    Options
    Two cereals I like:
    Fiber One cereal - tastes a bit like twigs, but has 50% of fiber
    Wheat Bran
    fiber makes me feel really nice and full. just say no to sugary cereals unless you want a treat.

Yeah that's how I view surgery cereals, like a dessert or a treat! Ridiculous amount of sugar in them.
  • Thisnameischosen
    Options
    I'm in the UK so don't know those cereals!
  • Thisnameischosen
    Options
    We have quaker oats here but that's it.. I think.. I'm sure they be will similar things though :)