What has protein and low sodium

Options
2»

Replies

• bacin0532
    bacin0532 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Taking your weight loss goal at face value, I'll guess you are 340lb-ish. 140g/day is ~0.41g/lb/day, which is higher than USDA recommendations, but below optimal levels to build/maintain muscle, which is in the 0.64-0.82g/lb/day range. Since protein really matters more for muscles than fat, 140g/day is probably fine.

Now, to hit that on a 2700 calorie diet, that is pretty easy. Add a 400g (14oz) slab of chicken breast to your diet and that'll put you at 124 grams of protein and only 660 calories while only consuming 296mg of sodium. The rest of the protein should easily fall in place and you have a ton of calories for everything else.

However, that may not work for you (not everyone wants to eat a ton of chicken every day). Looking at your diary, it looks like a couple simple changes might work for you though. Swap out the feta cheese for slices of chicken breast (or another meat of your choice), and swap out your salad dressing for something lower sodium. Also, ditch the canned tomatoes and use fresh diced tomatoes. Doing that alone would drop yesterday's sodium intake by ~1300mg.

I love chicken, and I only use fresh tomatoes all the time. Thanks for the helpful information.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is also a good source just figured i'd add that in addition to the above.

Also, i would highly recommend making your own food if you want to watch sodium intake.
  • bacin0532
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Greek yogurt is also a good source just figured i'd add that in addition to the above.

Also, i would highly recommend making your own food if you want to watch sodium intake.

I only asked because I thought going over your sodium was bad
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    bacin0532 wrote: »

well considering your current weight and your family history i would probably advise against it. You don't have to go LOW sodium, but keeping it low enough to keep hypertension (which can lead to heart disease, heart attack, and stroke later on in life) at bay is probably a good idea.
  • bacin0532
    Options
    bacin0532 wrote: »

well considering your current weight and your family history i would probably advise against it. You don't have to go LOW sodium, but keeping it low enough to keep hypertension (which can lead to heart disease, heart attack, and stroke later on in life) at bay is probably a good idea.

Thank you
  • SLIMANDFIT2015
    SLIMANDFIT2015 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There is a product called NoSalt. You just can not cook in the food add before you eat and you can always add more never want to much will mess up your meal. Also I purchase Friendship Cottage Cheese No Salt added and then i sprinkle with NoSalt. (instead of Sodium Chloride/{salt}, it is Potassium Chloride). The best purchase would be a food scale. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Taking your weight loss goal at face value, I'll guess you are 340lb-ish. 140g/day is ~0.41g/lb/day, which is higher than USDA recommendations, but below optimal levels to build/maintain muscle, which is in the 0.64-0.82g/lb/day range. Since protein really matters more for muscles than fat, 140g/day is probably fine.

Now, to hit that on a 2700 calorie diet, that is pretty easy. Add a 400g (14oz) slab of chicken breast to your diet and that'll put you at 124 grams of protein and only 660 calories while only consuming 296mg of sodium. The rest of the protein should easily fall in place and you have a ton of calories for everything else.

However, that may not work for you (not everyone wants to eat a ton of chicken every day). Looking at your diary, it looks like a couple simple changes might work for you though. Swap out the feta cheese for slices of chicken breast (or another meat of your choice), and swap out your salad dressing for something lower sodium. Also, ditch the canned tomatoes and use fresh diced tomatoes. Doing that alone would drop yesterday's sodium intake by ~1300mg.

@bacin0532 when I go to your diary it's asking me for a key, so your diary is no longer set on Public, but the above is good advice.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hi @bacon0532 .... I watch sodium as well. Just a couple more tips not mentioned above. Salad dressing can also be a sodium bomb for me. I have found the Bolthouse yogurt dressing to be lower, or else I cut my favorite regular dressing with Greek yogurt to get more bang out of less dressing. Mozzarella cheese is also a good cheese source land has a little protein, and can be lower fat and lower sodium than things like feta. Best wishes :)
  • bacin0532
    Options
    Hi @bacon0532 .... I watch sodium as well. Just a couple more tips not mentioned above. Salad dressing can also be a sodium bomb for me. I have found the Bolthouse yogurt dressing to be lower, or else I cut my favorite regular dressing with Greek yogurt to get more bang out of less dressing. Mozzarella cheese is also a good cheese source land has a little protein, and can be lower fat and lower sodium than things like feta. Best wishes :)

Thanks