Why is this not working for me?

Options
I signed up 3 weeks ago weighing 170.6 lbs. After 9 days of consuming net 1,300 or so calories per day I was down to 166 lbs...but then in the last 10 days (sticking to the calorie count) I gained the weight back..I'm now at 169 lbs again. I don't understand this as numbers don't add up. Clothing fits the same and measurements are the same. Any advice/opinion much appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Have you started a new exercise routine? That can cause a significant gain at the beginning that will level out, because muscles will retain water to repair themselves.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Most likely you're underestimating calorie intake, overestimating calorie burn from exercise, or both.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Also, MFP tends to overestimate calories burned through exercise, so if you don't have another way to track your workouts (FitBit, etc), then most people only log 1/2-3/4 of the exercise they're actually doing.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    There could be a number of factors. Unless you're over-eating, it's unlikely you gained 3 lbs of fat in 10 days. Most likely water retention. If you added exercise, or ate a lot of salt, it's your time of the month, etc. Weight fluctuates and there will be ups and downs. Just stick with it.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Nobody has a static weight. You have a weight range, and you will fluctuate up and down within that range on a daily (really, an hourly) basis, depending on a lot of factors (TOM, sodium intake, the weight of food in your digestive tract, when you most recently exercised, etc.). Do you know what your normal fluctuation range is? Most people don't, because they don't weigh in regularly until they start trying to lose. I'm just guessing based on your CW, but I'd guess your fluctuation range is somewhere around 2-5 pounds. You need to be patient, keep tracking as carefully as possible, and give it time to work.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Numerous observational studies and case studies show largest problems with calorie tracking falls into 2 categories. Forgotten intake and underestimating how much we're eating. The median error rate in one study showed a 30% underestimation.

Speaking from my personal experience, I was underestimating 25-35%. Sometimes I forgot something, like the late night snack. Other times I just messed up the amount.

Evaluate the methods of measuring and weighing food. Look at how logging calories is being done.

We also have to be really careful about the database entries in MFP. There is a lot of variance and errors. We tend to select entries with the fewest calories that appear "reasonable". I like to use the USDA nutrition database to verify my entries.

Don't be terribly hard on yourself. This is a process that requires reevaluation and analysis when our methods aren't working.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Most likely you're underestimating calorie intake, overestimating calorie burn from exercise, or both.

Agree with the others. You're probably off on your numbers somewhere. What I do when I'm confused, is weigh every bit of food I eat for a day or two to see if that's where the problem is. Next I look at my exercise calories. I only give myself about a half of what machines and aps say. Lastly, I'll cut my calories, but since I'm at 1200 already I haven't had to do that. If you eat less than you burn (calories in calories out or CICO) you'll start to lose weight. Hang in there and start tightening up your game plan.