H20 stupid ?

Options
reederx5
reederx5 Posts: 76 Member
I have a question. I absolutely loathe water but I can tolerate it if I add one of the drink mixes. I think they have 5 calories per glass. Is this still considered getting my water intake or not really? Sorry just wondering what your thoughts were on this matter.:embarassed:

Replies

• Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    No one actually can point to where the whole 8 glasses of water meme started, but there isn't really any documented rationale for that number. A lot of foods, especially fruits and vegetables, have water content. There is still water in coffee, tea, milk, juice, etc. So long as you keep yourself hydrated, your body doesn't care if it's water, milk, or a cup of grapes.

If you need to add something to water, your body will still pull the moisture from it that it needs. It doesn't care if you're drinking water straight, with a squeeze of lemon and some honey, mixed half and half with fruit juice, Kool Aid, Crystal Light, or Mio. Digestion is a wonderful thing, and water is absorbed through the digestive tract as the moisture is sucked out of whatever is passing through.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    No one actually can point to where the whole 8 glasses of water meme started, but there isn't really any documented rationale for that number. A lot of foods, especially fruits and vegetables, have water content. There is still water in coffee, tea, milk, juice, etc. So long as you keep yourself hydrated, your body doesn't care if it's water, milk, or a cup of grapes.

If you need to add something to water, your body will still pull the moisture from it that it needs. It doesn't care if you're drinking water straight, with a squeeze of lemon and some honey, mixed half and half with fruit juice, Kool Aid, Crystal Light, or Mio. Digestion is a wonderful thing, and water is absorbed through the digestive tract as the moisture is sucked out of whatever is passing through.

Another apostate…

There is value in drinking lots of water when dieting - if you're constipated, it can help loosen you up; it fools the stomach into thinking it's got food in it so water can help curb the desire to eat.

On the other hand, it reinforces the hand to mouth compulsion that some folks have.

There is, unquestionably, a social component to drinking water. One author on the topic described the water bottle to a "pacifier for weekend warriors". Not too charitable but an arguable perspective.

From a medical perspective, there's no reason to drink 8*8.

Dr. Valtin, a professor at Dartmouth and the author of a book on kidneys, could find no medical basis for the "8 x 8" recommendation. What I like about this article is that it's balanced, researched, and the discussion appears to be unbiased. Sort of like…science. :-)

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~news/releases/2002/aug/080802.html

http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/283/5/R993.full

Also, refer to the writings of Dr. Tim Noakes, perhaps the foremost author and researcher on physiology as it pertains to running.

Even Snopes weighed in on this, IIRC.

How much water should you consume? "Drink to thirst" is the best guideline for most folks with the advisory that our sense of thirst diminishes in the elderly so folks in that category, it might be good to monitor water consumption.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options

Another apostate…

There is value in drinking lots of water when dieting - if you're constipated, it can help loosen you up; it fools the stomach into thinking it's got food in it so water can help curb the desire to eat.

On the other hand, it reinforces the hand to mouth compulsion that some folks have.

There is, unquestionably, a social component to drinking water. One author on the topic described the water bottle to a "pacifier for weekend warriors". Not too charitable but an arguable perspective.

From a medical perspective, there's no reason to drink 8*8.

Dr. Valtin, a professor at Dartmouth and the author of a book on kidneys, could find no medical basis for the "8 x 8" recommendation. What I like about this article is that it's balanced, researched, and the discussion appears to be unbiased. Sort of like…science. :-)

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~news/releases/2002/aug/080802.html

http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/283/5/R993.full

Also, refer to the writings of Dr. Tim Noakes, perhaps the foremost author and researcher on physiology as it pertains to running.

Even Snopes weighed in on this, IIRC.

How much water should you consume? "Drink to thirst" is the best guideline for most folks with the advisory that our sense of thirst diminishes in the elderly so folks in that category, it might be good to monitor water consumption.

I love both of these posts. I never really understood why drinking water would help me lose weight. I'm not a snacker or grazer, so for me personally, I don't need anything to 'fool' myself into thinking I'm full or to keep my hands busy.

I do drink water, and though it's ok (specially on hot days), I usually add a squirt of Crystal Light ( that has 0 calories).