Nut binge

Options
I am currently binging on nuts... DAILY it aggravates me a lot and no matter what I do I can't seem to stop eating them and it also is setting my fitness goals back. so i am wondering if anyone has a good snack alternative to nuts so mabe Ill be able to stop binging on them. Thanks.

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I try to pair my daily handful of nuts with sliced apples or carrots. Nuts have a ton of calories so if you are looking for a replacement the world is your oyster. How about a boiled egg and some pepper slices? Or some tuna and celery? Or Greek yogurt and blueberries?
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I purposefully buy 100 calorie packs, and leave the box at home so all I have is one serving!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I just had a bowl of spoon size shreddies, dry, with a few peanuts. Or Cheerios and peanuts. I eat them for the crunch.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Nuts can be oh so deadly in the portion department, because they're so delicious and go so fast. I take a handful - or even just 2 tablespoons - and walk away.

If you can't handle staying out of the can or jar or gigantic barrel of jumbo blister peanuts from BJs -- then do what @brb2008 said and buy little pre-portioned packs.
  • fitnotfluffy
    fitnotfluffy Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I used to have this issue too, either buy the pre-portioned packs or portion them out yourself into little baggies!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Roasted and cooled edamame is a decent replacement. It tastes good, has a bit of nuttiness to it and splits down the center like peanuts do, sort of.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Yeah if I buy a can of nuts, they're gone within a few days, regardless of size. There are ways to practice restraint in this department, but you could also just not buy large sizes and only buy smaller packs

What else to snack on? What do you like?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Cheese sticks, krab sticks, low fat salami, ham and cucumber roll ups,.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Have a decent portion of pretzels and then mix in a serving of nuts.
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I cut out nuts and nut butters in the end because of the same reason. I only have them on the very odd occasion now and in very small portions. Alternatives for me would be a piece of fruit or Greek yogurt.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    When I weigh out a half ounce of almonds and have them with 1/2 ounce of cheese and a few ounces of apple, I have no desire to go back for more.

However, if I were to have an ounce of peanuts with 1/2 ounce of chocolate chips, I would want more.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    Similar to you....love me some nuts! so I weigh out a few grams of pecans, walnuts and 1-2 almonds and mix them with 5-10 grams of dry roasted chickpeas or some edamame pods and cut up veggies like zucchini, celery or red peppers. I spice the mix up with some chili flakes and a pinch of maldon sea salt.