2»

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You BURN the most fat sleeping. If one lacks getting enough sleep to get into REM, then GH balance is disrupted and GH is needed to help burn fat. Believe it or not, one burns more fat sleeping 8 hours than if they did an 1 to 1 1/2 hours of cardio. Why? Because fat is the primary source of energy when the body is at rest.
    Of course none of that will matter if one isn't in a calorie deficit to lose weight though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Really?
    Yep. Any physical activity will burn glycogen first. One would have to be doing 20 or more minutes of steady state cardio before a mixture of fat starts to get burned and that percentage from one's overall workout would be small.
    That's why it's a myth when people say to focus on cardio to burn fat. Cardio burns calories in higher ratio per duration than other exercises (dependent on intensity of course) which helps with CALORIE DEFICIT, but fat is primary fuel source for the body at rest. Truth.
    That's why I discourage my clients from having alcohol before bed. Alcohol before bed would inhibit fat burning because until it's metabolized out of the body, alcohol will be the primary source of energy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

So is this why they say not to eat 3 hours before bedtime? Or is that just another dieting myth?

It's a myth in the sense that when people say this they are often saying as well that you won't burn those calories and they'll become fat - that's not true. If you are in a deficit you'll lose regardless of when you eat your calories. That said, eating shortly before bed can negatively impact your sleep (although some things can help sleep such as warm milk, things with tryptophan). However, there is some interesting research suggesting benefit to your circadean rhythm (therefore your general body regulation) to an eating pattern that is earlier in the day and cuts off in the evening. Nevertheless, the primary issue with weight loss is calorie deficit. So, I would say if being more free with your eating time helps you to maintain a deficit, that's good. Some people have schedule issues, or a tendency to overeat at night if they tell themselves they can't eat, or simply really value being able to eat later... all of which would be good reasons to let yourself do so.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Sleep is beneficial for many reasons and they find new ones all the time. Sleep is good for us!

As the weight loss goes, I find that I lose less when I'm not getting enough sleep. I also want more food when I'm tired. I've been losing weight for a loooong time and have noticed this. It's an Experience thing, not "It was in a book and I trust it" thing. So, for me, I know it's true.