exercise fatigue

Options
cheesychiplet
cheesychiplet Posts: 27 Member
edited November 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
The other day I decided to do my exercise dvd. I normally start off fine and work through the first two sections without too much difficulty. ..I feel the burn but it's not unbearable. This time it seemed that my muscles couldn't handle it after the first small amount. .I had done the dvd the night before. I often do. The question is: should I rest my body for a day or two or do I push through it and maybe I will be fine again the next day? My muscles ached a lot the following day too and I soaked in a hot bath and left out the exercise. I had walked a fair amount that day but it seemed that even walking which is normally fine was just causing a lot of muscle aching. Thoughts?

Replies

• miaelissa
    miaelissa Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Having same problem. But I've only been walking 6-10 miles a day. But previously was doing no exercise
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    You need to favor rest and recover as part of the entire "Exercise Experience"

It is normal to need rest and recovery

I have been training a long time. I still need the recovery time with no cheating on it

It catches up to you in either stress injury or fatigue.

Do take a balanced approach. Exercise, eat right, rest.

There are no shortcuts
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I'm in favour of listening to your body. If you feel like you need a rest, you do.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    miaelissa wrote: »
    Having same problem. But I've only been walking 6-10 miles a day. But previously was doing no exercise

Walking is low impact...not no impact. All that repetitive movement can be hard on the joints.

Switch things up. Work different muscles from time to time. Overall fitness is more than just cardio...or more than just strength. Each has their own health benefits.

Take a couple days each week and do strength/resistance training instead. It doesn't burn as many calories as cardio, but it will help you retain more lean muscle mass while eating at a deficit.

I do yoga at least 1 day a week. Yoga works flexibility and balance. This is a great stress reducer. The stretching will help your walking too.
  • cheesychiplet
    cheesychiplet Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys this was really helpful x
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    It takes time for the body to get used to it. Don't be too hard on yourself ! Rest when you need to! And if you need 2 days off, take them. when I do chest flies on Tuesday, for example, I can barely get dressed until Saturday !!!!!
  • 1098mn
    1098mn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body
    I always rest when I need to
    You don't want to workout when your injured
    Good luck
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    You should rest if you feel like you need to.

If the exercise is not particularly strenuous, you can generally do it on multiple days without issue - once your body is used to a particular level of exertion it can do that same level without needing recovery. For example, I can walk for an hour or more per day without being particularly strenuous on my body - I could do that every day and often do.

If the exercise is strenuous to the point you're pushing your body's capacity to its limits (for example if you're doing training, or a new or more intense workout than usual), you absolutely need rest in order to repair and recover. Pushing a muscle hard will cause microscopic damage, and it's the repair of that damage that strengthens the muscle and adapts your body. Muscle soreness definitely indicates that microscopic damage has occurred, but it's not always present. You absolutely need to give the body time to repair, or you end up losing strength temporarily - after sufficient recovery it will return.

In between, just listen to your body. You definitely want a medium to large meal in between exercise sessions so you can replenish muscle energy stores.
  • Al48feelingreat
    Al48feelingreat Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Try this

Why do it at the DVD pace

As soon as Ur out of breath and sweating Ur doing something keep it max ten minutes but split sessions throughout the day
    Hope this helps
    Cheers
  • Orione2
    Orione2 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Recovery is as important as the exercise. In fact it's during the recovery from any exercise that your body adapts and supercompensates to make it was asked next time. Don't over do the enthusiasm. Sleep well, eat after a workout and build gradually.