Bench press safety

Hi,

I'm dong the SL 5x5 - and love it - but I have a Goldielock's problem with the bench press.

I don't have a spotter. I've been using the safety rails on the squat rack.
The safety rails have set positions where they're slotted into.

When I lie on the bench, position 1 is too low. Ie, if the bar falls, I'll be squished.
Position 2 is too high, and I can't touch the top of my chest with the bar.

I can't change the height of the bench. (But I can change the degree the chair is at. I've been using 0')

What I've been doing is setting it to position 2, and acknowledging that I'm not doing a full press.
Is this really as bad?

Are there any other options?

I spent most of last night on youtube watching epic weight lifting mistakes - and while amused, was very scared.

Thanks,
V

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    I don't use safety arms and just use the "roll of shame":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEUvI8Q6JDk
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    dumbbells.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Can you put plates under the bench? To raise it up that little bit?

99% of the time I'm benching on a competition rack with the safeties set. When I can't because the rack is in use, I'm benching in a power rack with the safeties set so that my throat and face are safe, because at that point the gym is busy enough for someone to come pull the bar up.

Besides that, I trust metal far more than people.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    double check that you are benching and using the safety catches properly

http://stronglifts.com/bench-press/safety/#How_to_Fail_Bench_Press_Safely

Even then, there should be plenty of space if you go the opposite way and move the bar up a tiny bit. Granted, rolling out from under that is a lot harder.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Vetticus_3 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm dong the SL 5x5 - and love it - but I have a Goldielock's problem with the bench press.

I don't have a spotter. I've been using the safety rails on the squat rack.
    The safety rails have set positions where they're slotted into.

When I lie on the bench, position 1 is too low. Ie, if the bar falls, I'll be squished.
    Position 2 is too high, and I can't touch the top of my chest with the bar.

I can't change the height of the bench. (But I can change the degree the chair is at. I've been using 0')

What I've been doing is setting it to position 2, and acknowledging that I'm not doing a full press.
    Is this really as bad?

Are there any other options?

I spent most of last night on youtube watching epic weight lifting mistakes - and while amused, was very scared.

Thanks,
    V

With the safety bars in position one can you bring the bar down onto your chest and just roll it onto the safety bars once gets down to about your abs? Unless you're doing a lot of max-effort / AMRAP sets it's not something I'd get too hung up on. If you don't think you have a 100% chance of getting the next rep, don't do it.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    I think the suggestion to put weights under the bench to raise it is a good one.

The safety roll/roll of shame is good, but if you're not confident in it I would stick with the safety arms. Once got pinned for a minute under the barbell because I pushed too hard, wasn't using safety bars, and got myself all twisted up trying to roll out from under it. After that I always used the power rack and safety bars.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member

This is what I do.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    One thought is to work on improving your arch so you can utilize the higher bar position and still touch your chest. Then if you fail, just collapse your arch and you're safe.

Plates under the bench are a good idea. Rubber mats or even plywood for more granular adjustments are good too.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    One more vote for plates under the bench. I do it.
  • Nothing to add, except your gym sounds as crappy as the one I use during the winter months.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    every bench I've seen in a gym has a lower set of hooks in case you fail your rep. I've failed a few sets and had to use them. There's just enough clearance to slide your head out.

Bench-PRess---Zoom.jpg

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    i think you should not be trying to bench more than you know you can physically bench. Know your body, know your limits, and push them but don't push them over the edge without a spotter.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member

99% of the time I'm benching on a competition rack with the safeties set. When I can't because the rack is in use, I'm benching in a power rack with the safeties set so that my throat and face are safe, because at that point the gym is busy enough for someone to come pull the bar up.

Besides that, I trust metal far more than people.

I second or third the plates under the bench! I know a young man that's lucky to be alive after failing on a bench press and crushing his esophagus