Food finds! Post here your new food discoveries - surprisingly low calorie? Low fat? Tell us!!

Options
Hey all, as I go further on my journey, I'm trying many new foods and realising how bad my old ones were! Things that are surprisingly low calorie that are delicious, or things you didn't realise we're that bad can be useful for others in need of food inspiration! :)

Replies

• kathyelizabeth87
    kathyelizabeth87 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Solero - amazing icecream only 92 calories!
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Plain Greek yogurt is very filling and lower calorie than I thought, makes perfect sour cream substitute. Shirataki noodles with marinara sauce and parmesan cheese - mmm, spaghetti for 80 calories instead of 400 :)
    Pounding a chicken breast flat and using it as a meaty low-carb pizza crust.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Frozen cooked quinoa. Combine with precooked rotisserie chicken, add veggies or cheese, nuke 2 min and you've got a quick healthy lunch for 200-300 cals depending on portion size & additions.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Low carb tortilla - Tumaro's and Tortilla Factory are my favorites, but Flatout isn't bad.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Just FYI, there's another, similar thread that's been floating around for almost a year now. It has "regulars," and lots and lots of product suggestions: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/34553436
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    "Ole" brand "Extreme Wellness" High Fiber, Low Carb Tortilla Wraps. They are 50 calories each! They used to be 90 but per the package it looks like they've updated their ingredients and lowered the calories quite a bit. I use them a lot now.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese and Greek yogurt are my new best friends. Both are so versatile when cooking, and it's a super quick way to fit more protein in my meals.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Just FYI, there's another, similar thread that's been floating around for almost a year now. It has "regulars," and lots and lots of product suggestions: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/34553436

Most of those things are not quite low calorie though.

Oh and Yoplait Greek Whips. Only 100 calories, tastes like dessert, has 10-12g of protein (I forgot), just not filling at all.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Oh and Yoplait Greek Whips. Only 100 calories, tastes like dessert, has 10-12g of protein (I forgot), just not filling at all.

I like the Dannon greek yogurts if you want a dessert-like greek yogurt that is low calorie (rather than a full fat greek yogurt, which can definitely count as dessert). The Light and Fit ones are overly sweet to me (and it a sucralose sweet), but the triple zero are pretty tasty. And I still like some of the Light and Fit ones despite the sucralose. The caramel apple pie was pretty good. I wish I could find it again...
  • Tennisskater
    Tennisskater Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Kobucha squash is great, it has a a consistency of a potato but the nutrition of squash, great in place of mashed potatoes

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Ball Park makes a fat-free turkey hot dog that is 40 or 45 calories. It doesn't taste as good as regular, high-cal, high-fat hot dogs, but it's pretty good. And non-fat! :)
  • Tennisskater
    Tennisskater Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I like Columbus nitrate free turkey bacon, (Costco) it is 45 cal a slice. I chop it up and cook with egg whites.....just a little extra protein and flavor
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options

I like the Dannon greek yogurts if you want a dessert-like greek yogurt that is low calorie (rather than a full fat greek yogurt, which can definitely count as dessert). The Light and Fit ones are overly sweet to me (and it a sucralose sweet), but the triple zero are pretty tasty. And I still like some of the Light and Fit ones despite the sucralose. The caramel apple pie was pretty good. I wish I could find it again...

I have a caramel apple pie one in my fridge that I've planned to eat on like 4 separate days and I still haven't touched it. I tend to stick to the cherry or blueberry.
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Joseph's Flax, Oat Bran & Whole Wheat Pita Bread

I live on these guys. 60 calories each 4g net carbs. I get them at Walmart or Cub Foods.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Powerful Yogurt http://www.powerful.yt/yogurt.html
    What I bought yesterday is 8 ounces, 21 grams of protein, 0 grams of fat, and 170 calories for the strawberry flavor.
    Apparently it was originally marketed for the male gym crowd.
  • jenniferpiotrowski0
    Options
    Low sodium roasted bacon from Kroger. 60 calories for 2 pieces. It has less fat too. Its not as good as normal bacon but its ok if you really want lower calorie bacon
  • Francl27
    Options

Same here with the light and fit ones. I wish that products that use sucralose didn't put that much of it in them.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    muller light yogurt, 150-175g of yoghurt for <99 cal

any low fat yoghurt in general

marks&spencer you count desserts (and meals) taste really good - a triple choc sundae for 170 cal

alpen light bars
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Fiber Gourmet Pasta - 1/2 the calories of regular, not grainy or gray, high fiber
  • jenchamb1
    jenchamb1 Posts: 73 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Shop Rite Light English Muffins, only 80 calories. Great with a tbsp of JIF Whipped Peanut Butter(70cal).