123457»

Replies

• dvis334
    dvis334 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    dvis334 wrote: »
    jkuckian wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I'm a body builder, add me as a friend if you're trying to gain weight and we can be friends on here! I'm currently at 3,500-4,000kcal a day, 55%Carbs, 25%Protein, 20%Fats and making very good progress :-)

Join the community and we can make this journey a lot more fun!

Down! I'm beginning my journey to fitness with Stronglifts 5x5. Might switch up to Weiders 5/3/1 later. Afterward, I may focus more on aesthetics. Just want to build a solid strength foundation before anything though. My caloric intake is exactly where yours is. My macros are 50C/35P/15F. Good luck to you!

@dvis334 -- Increase your fats brother. It's almost always suggested to consume fats at a minimum of 20-25% of your caloric intake.

35% protein seems a bit high, too. If you're at 3500-4000 calories/day, you don't need even close to 300g of protein. That's insane. How much do you weigh? What's your LBM? Try setting protein (if bulking) to the lower end of the range. The range I'm referring to varies from person to person, but most probably fall somewhere within: 1-1.5g per lb of Lean Body Mass or .7-1g per lb of total body mass.

If you only take one thing from my comment make it that, for health reasons, you make sure your fats come up a tad!! Good luck to you!

Thanks for your response! I have read about keeping fats at or above 20% and with your comment ill definitely be making those changes. I weigh 150lbs. Not sure what my BF% is though. At 5'10" im skinny-fat 28th it all stored in my belly.

Question: I thought protein was essential to building muscle and strength. I figured the more protein the better. What's the disadvantage of keeping it high? Advantages of dropping it to say 1g/lb ? Thanks again for your response. Looking forward to your feedback!

If you're bulking, try going to 25% or higher with fats. This will make it easy for you to cut some calories quickly by decreasing your fats all while staying above your suggested minimums (when you do decide to cut). Also, protein is essential for building and maintaining muscle, you're right, but only to a certain extent before its just a more expensive carbohydrate. Here's a decent forum run down of calories/macronutrient calculations: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

When bulking, I like to set my minimums and then stay within ranges of 20 or 30g's in each macronutrient to keep a somewhat steady macro ratio. IE: For my bulk right now I'm at 2750 kcals (gaining roughly 1lb/week). Macros: Fats: min. I'm comfortable with is 68g (22%) - I try to stay around 70-90g's of fat. Protein: I'm 175lbs. I try to aim for a min of 155g's but have it set for 165. Anything between 155-185g is cool with me, as long as I'm meeting other nutrition needs. Carbs: I fill in the remainder of my calories with these. anywhere from 345-370g/day.

Also...you should probably find your BF% before you decide how you want to pursue your bulk. If by skinny fat you mean greater than 15% bf, then maybe try and eat at maintenance and let your beginning muscle gains level out your bf% before you eat at a surplus. Or eat at a very slight surplus so not to add more fat than muscle!

Alright I'm going to find out what my BF% is. Once i figure it out I think ill go with your idea of eating at maintenance to level out my BF% if above 15%. If not, I'll continue with a bulk. In the meantime, I'm going to do some more research on tracking macros and cals. Thanks!
  • dvis334
    dvis334 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm a body builder, add me as a friend if you're trying to gain weight and we can be friends on here! I'm currently at 3,500-4,000kcal a day, 55%Carbs, 25%Protein, 20%Fats and making very good progress :-)

Down! I'm beginning my journey to fitness with Stronglifts 5x5. Might switch up to Weiders 5/3/1 later. Afterward, I may focus more on aesthetics. Just want to build a solid strength foundation before anything though. My caloric intake is exactly where yours is. My macros are 50C/35P/15F. Good luck to you!

@dvis334 -- Increase your fats brother. It's almost always suggested to consume fats at a minimum of 20-25% of your caloric intake.

35% protein seems a bit high, too. If you're at 3500-4000 calories/day, you don't need even close to 300g of protein. That's insane. How much do you weigh? What's your LBM? Try setting protein (if bulking) to the lower end of the range. The range I'm referring to varies from person to person, but most probably fall somewhere within: 1-1.5g per lb of Lean Body Mass or .7-1g per lb of total body mass.

If you only take one thing from my comment make it that, for health reasons, you make sure your fats come up a tad!! Good luck to you!

Thanks for your response! I have read about keeping fats at or above 20% and with your comment ill definitely be making those changes. I weigh 150lbs. Not sure what my BF% is though. At 5'10" im skinny-fat 28th it all stored in my belly.

Question: I thought protein was essential to building muscle and strength. I figured the more protein the better. What's the disadvantage of keeping it high? Advantages of dropping it to say 1g/lb ? Thanks again for your response. Looking forward to your feedback!

If you're bulking, try going to 25% or higher with fats. This will make it easy for you to cut some calories quickly by decreasing your fats all while staying above your suggested minimums (when you do decide to cut). Also, protein is essential for building and maintaining muscle, you're right, but only to a certain extent before its just a more expensive carbohydrate. Here's a decent forum run down of calories/macronutrient calculations: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

When bulking, I like to set my minimums and then stay within ranges of 20 or 30g's in each macronutrient to keep a somewhat steady macro ratio. IE: For my bulk right now I'm at 2750 kcals (gaining roughly 1lb/week). Macros: Fats: min. I'm comfortable with is 68g (22%) - I try to stay around 70-90g's of fat. Protein: I'm 175lbs. I try to aim for a min of 155g's but have it set for 165. Anything between 155-185g is cool with me, as long as I'm meeting other nutrition needs. Carbs: I fill in the remainder of my calories with these. anywhere from 345-370g/day.

Also...you should probably find your BF% before you decide how you want to pursue your bulk. If by skinny fat you mean greater than 15% bf, then maybe try and eat at maintenance and let your beginning muscle gains level out your bf% before you eat at a surplus. Or eat at a very slight surplus so not to add more fat than muscle!

Alright I'm going to find out what my BF% is. Once i figure it out I think ill go with your idea of eating at maintenance to level out my BF% if above 15%. If not, I'll continue with a bulk. In the meantime, I'm going to do some more research on tracking macros and cals. Thanks!
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Anytime..

Start here for bulking: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10226536/bulking-for-beginners

Also, there are plenty of experienced people on MFP, so if you have a question, pick a forum and post it! You'll be surprised with how much you can learn from everyone. Best of luck.
  • Claps1775
    Claps1775 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am at 155 and want to get to 170. Not set time I want to hit it. I do not take protein, I eat my nutrition. I try to get between 2,800-3,000 cals. Just started this apk this week. Been into writing out for a long time. Will post my mscros late. Wanted to say hello. Feel free to add me.
  • Riff1970
    Riff1970 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Just finished bulk. Started at 147 early October and just hit 167.

Time to cut! From 3000 to 1800 calories. Whoo!
  • Riff1970
    Options
    Just hit 158! The abs are just starting to show.

Onward!
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Alright add me up.
    5"11' 180lbs 13% body fat
    Protein 190g, carbs +300g, fats +100g. Bulking at 3400-3500. Been going above it lately though. Almost time to cut
  • Riff1970
    Options
    147!

Abs are showing but I'd like to see if I can get more cut.

I got down to 146 in June of 2012 and I think the abs were showing more then.

I'm going to 145 to see how that looks.

Woop!
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
    Did a really dirty bulk last year and got up to 220. I hated my stomach though. Lost 20 of that on a cut and now doing a slow cleaner bulk and back at 205. Started 531 program and it's been working good. Typically eat about 3200 to 3500 call during the week. Want to look like I could get on stage one day. Maybe in a couple years.
  • BeefyUk
    BeefyUk Posts: 2,602 Member
    Options
    6'2" ....230 lbs .....4000 / 5000 cals a day but am currently leaning out a little on 3500 / 4000 cals.