* warning this topic has been asked 1000000000 times*

Options
So am just getting into lifting, am confused not about what to actually do i have a 'homemade' routine (my dad does weights, so he showed me some moves) i still have 42lbs to lose but i don't know if i should be lifting light or heavy?
When I've asked people with experience of using weights i get told different things either low reps and heavy weights or high reps lighter weights. So which one should i be doing?

Currently i do 40 mins of weights using 20 lbs weights, 5 to 6 days a week :)

Replies

• Par8hed4life
    Par8hed4life Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    "If you want to look like a God, lift like a man".
    Get the book,
    New Rules of Lifting for Women". It will help you and give you routine to follow for a good six months.
    If you can't get the book, put down the barbie weights and lift heavy.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Low rep/high weight - Strength
    High rep/low weight - endurance.

I like a balance of that two. But generally 3 days for strength and 1 days of endurance. Unless you are an endurance athlete and I do 2 and 2.

My opinion is you might as well maximize strength gains because the stronger a body is, the more support and the less prone to injury.
  • beckieboomoo
    beckieboomoo Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Okay cheers! :)
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    0v8vLT1l.jpg
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    You are doing 40 minutes "of weights" using 20 pound weights.

What are you doing with those weights in 40 minutes?

20 pounds would be awesome for curling, but if you are doing squats with 20 pound dumb bells you aren't going to get much out of that for long.

Most people here would tell you to do high weight low reps (and I am one of those people.) 5 sets of 5 of the heaviest weight you can lift for five reps, for the particular muscle group you are exercising. Concentrate on compound lifts that work large muscle groups: squats, deadlifts, bench press, etc.

Strong Lifts is a great program to start with, or pick up the book New Rules of Lifting for Women (have not read it, but I've heard good things.)

Many women do low weight high rep routines, but they are extremely inefficient and won't get you nearly the same results in the same period of time.

If you don't have access to barbells you can at least hold both 20 pound dumb bells and squat, or do weighted lunges. Eventually though, you will want to lift progressively heavier weights.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    Options
    BTW, just make sure you are eating enough calories as noted below. Also, write down your moves, weight and reps to ensure you are increasing each week (in fact, make goals to support improving your weight training). But most importantly, start with light reps and work on form. If you learn in the beginning you will be less prone to injury. Generally, you should fail with the last 3 reps. And personally, I like reps between 8-15... sometimes a combination.

For example, I do a single set with a drop set as shown below.

set 1 - 15 reps, 20 lbs
    set 2 - 12 reps, 25 lbs
    set 3 - 8 reps, 35 lbs
    set 4 - 8 reps, 30 lbs or less

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • elvensnow
    elvensnow Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    "If you want to look like a God, lift like a man".
    Get the book,
    New Rules of Lifting for Women". It will help you and give you routine to follow for a good six months.
    If you can't get the book, put down the barbie weights and lift heavy.

Second this. This book is amazing. I love the routine and the information. Please get it and be glad you got educated :)

To summarize: Lift heavy.
  • beckieboomoo
    Options
    Sorry should of clarified i use a bar not hand weights. I do 8 sets of 10 reps for 5 different moves, am useless with remembering the names of the moves, i do do curling and squarts though. Sorry about lack of information

So check list:
    Get new rules of lifting for woman
    read it a lot !
    lift heavy
    And look awesome :D

think i can manage that

Thanks everyone :D
  • beckieboomoo
    Options
    Currently downloading book to my phone now :D
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the bar has a weight, too! If you are using an olympic bar that's 45 pounds.